Chapter Twenty-One

The next day Mark and Lucilla were provided a breakfast of cheese, sausage preserved in salt, dark bread, milk from their goat, and honey.  Lucilla, who was more used to more exotic food, nevertheless enjoyed the simple meal.

The Signore and Singnora were wearing clothing more appropriate for church on Sunday as they ate. She wore a full dress with shaw and a festive hat.  He fitted well into a dark suit with white shirt and narrow tie.  His farmer's boots were replaced by black leather shoes with a glass shine to its leather.  He had worked two hours with a piece of cloth and shoe polish.  He could see his face in them.

"We have but an hour's walk to the Feast of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. Our village had warred against the Romans. The emperor's legions surrounding our city would have lost many soldiers if they attacked us. We knew that they would win in the end. We sent emissaries to the Roman generali, asking if we could have a word with the emperor himself. After we sat down with him and discussed our grievances with Rome, we would disarm peacefully and surrender."

"I know that story, my father used to tell me about it," Lucilla said.

As they were walking, Signore Belini looked back in surprise. "Signora Carabeta, no one outside of Adano knows out story. That's remarkable of you."

"Sorry for interrupting you, Signore. Please go on?" Lucilla said.

"The emperor could have exterminated us at the cost of one of his Legions. But he chose to sign a treaty, granting us Roman citizenship and semi-autonomy. He then hired a Calligrapher, who made a copy of his philosophical works." The old Segnore chuckled. "We're both Christian and Stoic here in Adona."

In the city square there were rows and rows of decorative tables. Streamers hung in trees and oil lamp poles. At the very center was a plaster copy of Emperor Marcus Aurelius.

They town mayor opened the festivities with a declaration. He then ordered wine to be brought while he announced who would be honorary emperor for the festival.

"Sejnore Belini!"

The townspeople cheered loud while attendants provided the old man with a festive robe fit for the emperor. Another one was provided his wife.

Sejnore then rose, held high his wine glad and said," To the Emperor-Scholar Marcus Aurelius and King Victor Emanuel!"

With that people cheered. Food free to the old man and his wife was brought forth.

Everything eaten that day was Ancient Roman food long familiar to Lucilla. Music however was quite Italian with a brass band and traditional. Lucilla and Mark danced for several hours.

As Lucilla was leaning on Mark's shoulder. "Would you hate my if I confessed something?"

"Something about Old Rome?"

"At a festival like this my husband would go one way and I another."

"And?"

"By this time in the afternoon I would have slept with at least a tribune."

Mark put his arm around her. "Is that part of your life behind you?"

"Oh, yes, I'm all yours. Those men were empty shells. You have my heart."

She kissed him and put her head back on his shoulder.

It was day to remember for Sejnore and Sejnora Belini.

The mayor got up in the middle of the festival and took an ancient scroll from an earthen jar.  It was the copy of Marcus Aurelius's philosophical works.

From this he read passages that tradition said that Marcus himself read for their village.  So the people got to hear it every year.

Many people had their own copies of the emperor's works.  It said to cause harm to no person.  Always do the right thing to another person.  While they went to church, they always kept the emperor's kind words in their hearts.