Chapters 7-9

Chapter 7

Sky

It’s Thursday, and as I go through the motions of getting ready for another agonizing day of high school, I know something has changed. I feel it around my ears.

I can hear my family breathing. I’m in my room, all alone with the door closed, but I can hear breathing. I can also hear their heartbeats, and I find myself thinking that the sounds of their heartbeats are beautiful, and then I hear my stomach growl.

I think back to last night, to when Julius was here, talking to me about everything. We talked about our families(his family is dead), our friends, some guy he calls The Master, and Hayden and I. But that’s not important. What’s important is that we talked about the changes I would have to endure. He said something about how my hearing will become very strong, and that when I heard heartbeats, I would get hungry.

It’s happening to me now. I can hear some hearts, and now I want food. This can’t be true. How in the world can vampires be real?? All my life, I heard stories about them, but never thought that they could be real. I always thought The Twilight Series was stupid, but could that whole love story be based off of something that really happened? What if people don’t just make these stories up? What if they actually experienced this?

Oh, my.

My day becomes tiresome. First off, hearing the heartbeats of other people has made me feel like I’m starving, literally. And that’s annoying. But what really gets on  my nerves is hearing my classmates make noises. You know, like tapping on the desk, stomping the ground, etc.

I’ve noticed that while I’m around Hayden, I don’t feel like I used to. I don’t feel like I am in love with him anymore. It’s so weird. Could it be because I maybe like Julius? The vampire that is over 200 years older than me? This is so not right. Hayden and I’s anniversary is only in a few days!

Why does my life have to be so complicated?!

Later at lunch, I’m sitting outside with April, because Hayden is at some meeting for the science club. I cherish the time I get to spend with her. Hayden has always been the type of boyfriend to keep me away from my friends, and I know that’s not good. Every teenage girl should have her friends, whenever she needs them or wants to be around them, but he either doesn’t know that or doesn’t care.

I keep telling myself that Hayden is not controlling everything I do, even though he is. I try to block out all of the things my friends say about him to me, or the things that April tells me she heard other people saying.

April starts a conversation by asking me a question.

“So how are you and Hayden?”

“Oh.. umm we’re good. Very good,” I say quickly.

She looks at me suspiciously. “I don’t believe you. I can tell when you’re lying. I’m your best friend. I know everything about you, and I can read you like a book.”

I stay quiet and stare at the ground, knowing she’s right. April is great at reading me. She is the person that knows me best. Not even my parents know me as well as she does.

“Skylar. Something is going on. I know there is. Tell me, so I can go beat the crap out of Hayden.”

Not being able to keep it to myself any longer, I say the words so fast that I can see her having trouble understanding me. “April he makes me do things I don’t want to and he never lets me hang out with you and our other friends. It’s always him, him, him and I can’t take it anymore. I’m starting to not like him and well it’s freaking me out and oh my gosh I am not looking forward to our anniversary.”