Prologue- Chapter 6

Prologue

It’s nighttime, and as I wander around the small community of Lawson, Texas, I ponder over who will be my next victim. I was surprisingly still craving, and I had no problem with that. The last 5 were just so delicious... young too. Perfect.

The Master says that I need to expand the population of our species, but in the hundreds of years I’ve existed, I have never found a human that fits the requirements. The human must be a trustworthy person, who is able to keep secrets, because our species must be kept a secret. Humans can’t find out about us. If they do, everything will be ruined. The human must be able to make a death look like suicide, so no one assumes that it was murder.

As I walk towards a house, I picture who is inside sleeping in their beds. I picture a man and woman in one bed, a little baby girl in another, and a teenage girl in the last. Satisfied, I walk up the steps to the porch and make my way towards the door. As I wrap my fingers around the doorknob, I can hear the breathing of the humans all around me. Music to my ears. This means there is plenty of food for me. Opening the door, which is surprisingly unlocked, I take in the scent of the luscious prey. I make my way over the threshold and close the door quietly behind me.

I can smell something amazing, and it’s nothing that I’ve ever experienced before. As I follow the scent, I get these visions with a little girl in them. In the vision, the girl is talking to her friend. Her friend is telling her to keep a secret. The little girl promises, and she never tells a soul. The vision also shows that she is very smart; top of her class.

I had never experienced anything like this in my existence. This was completely new to me. But I knew what this vision meant. The time has finally come. I have found a human that meets the requirements.

Finally I get to a door. As I open the door, the scent becomes stronger, and there, sleeping in her bed, is a teenage girl. She looks to be about 14 or 15, and she is absolutely beautiful. I know for sure that she’ll be perfect. I creep closer to her, and lower my head to her neck. The scent is incredibly strong now. I can see her neck throb from the blood that’s pumping.

Changing someone into one of us just takes one bite. We can’t suck any blood out, or it won’t work. The transformation usually takes about a week. The victim feels no pain, they just go through some major changes. They become stronger, their eyesight improves, they begin to hear things that they never could hear before, and finally, their sense of smell improves. Then, the last step, they start to crave. I will have to confront the victim and tell her what has happened to her. I’ll tell her the rules and take her to The Master.

I slowly sink my teeth into her neck, then I come right back up. All done.

Chapter 1

I hate high school. It’s the worst place on earth. The work is harder, the teachers are stricter, and everything is just nerveracking. I’m always afraid I’m gonna do the wrong thing and embarrass myself. It’s so frustrating!

Well I should probably tell you who I am. My name is Skylar Lee. I’m 14 years old and I’m a freshman at Lawson High School. I have a baby sister named Sarah. She’s 6 months old. My parents are Lindsay and George Lee.

I have 2 people that I care about the most. Hayden and April. Hayden is my boyfriend, and has been for almost a year. April is my best friend.

I am in theater and I get the highest grades in my class. I love reading and listening to music.

So it’s Monday morning, and I just woke up to the sound of Sarah crying. Just to be nice, I send my parents back to bed as they’re making their way to her room. I then go in there myself and gently lift her out of her crib, kissing her head. I ask her why she’s crying, even though I know she won’t answer me. Then, I smell it. Her poop. She’s crying because her diaper is full. Yay, I think to myself.