her şey bitti

Can

I originally planned to get away from the city and its haunting memories by taking a few days to ride my motorcycle through the countryside. But after last night, the familiar urge to flee again gripped me hard. I wanted to get the hell away from here. I needed to get back to finish this damn campaign so I could put an entire continent between me and Sanem.

I ran into Metin while I was on my way through this town and he was here on business. We first met years ago when he was traveling through France and I was a young photographer trying to find my way in the world. His connections had been invaluable in helping me build a portfolio and I would always be grateful to him for that. So instead of getting the hell out of town first thing, I waited for him at a small cafe by the hotel I was staying at to let him know I was taking off.

"You look like hell brother," he said when he took a seat across from me. I made a tell me more motion with my hands. He laughed and said, "I never thought I'd see the day when the great Can Divit would be laid low by a woman. I gotta say I'm really enjoying it."

I downed my tea and said morosely, "I'm glad one of us is," then I told him about my imminent departure and he guessed why.

"Women have always come easy to you. But I take it this one is giving you a run for your money?" he said, still delighted with my predicament.

"What do you know about this Yiğit?" I couldn't even think of his name without wanting to break something.

"Not much. Our families are distantly related but mine is at the lower end of the social scale so they pretty much ignore us. I was pretty surprised to get a phone call from him last night."

The waiter came by to deliver the menus. I threw mine aside.

"What did he want?" But my battered heart was already bracing itself for an unseen blow.

"I'm not sure exactly. It was a very bizarre one-sided conversation. He went on about Sanem's older sister, Leyla. I'm acquainted with her but just barely."

I sat up straight in my chair. A deep suspicion began to grow.

"What about her?"

"I guess Sanem recently saved her from making a huge mistake. She fell in love with someone the family didn't approve of and Sanem separated them."

"Did he give the reasons for her interference?" I asked him through numb lips.

"I guess there were some strong objections to the man and his family. They thought he was after Leyla for her money. So they sent her off to Italy."

Metin looked up from his menu and whatever he saw in my face made him blanch.

"Wait," he began slowly, "he didn't call to tell me that out of the blue, did he?"

I shook my head trying to control my rioting emotions.

Metin swore. " I knew that asshole was up to something. I'm sorry, man. I don't know what's going on exactly but..."

At that moment the cause of all my heartache suddenly appeared as if I'd summoned her with my thoughts, wearing a white dress and looking like an angel conjured from my dreams.

My entire body reacted to her nearness and only the thought of my brother's heartbreak kept me from jumping to my feet and hauling her into my arms. I remained seated and looked anywhere but directly at her. I tried to calm my rioting emotions. She would explain and I would listen. No way was she capable of doing something like this.

Metin glanced between us and hastily excused himself.

"Hi," she said with a small smile.

My heart tripped and I clenched my fists. My willpower was nonexistent when it came to her smiles. If she only knew the power she had over me. At this moment I was really glad she didn't.