Eight

Donovan

My head lolled to the side in exhaustion as Imogen continued to rattle on, barking about nonsense in front of me. She was sat back on her haunches, supposedly giving me an excuse as to why Edith wasn’t going to be joining us for our night run. I pushed my ears back, shooting the feisty pup a look that should have shut her up.

It didn’t.

“So basically, I think it was homework she said she had to do. But she doesn’t ever do her homework. So I don’t really know,” she confirmed, trotting off as if she hadn’t wasted my time. I watched her go, her tail twitching as she made her was towards the other pups.

Odd little thing, she was.

“It’s almost mating season,” My father commented, coming to my side though his head was merely at my shoulder. Our size difference was natural; every Alpha needs to be bigger than the rest of his pack.

“I’m aware,” I retorted, shooting him a side glance. Peter was always up to something.

“You know what that means don’t you? George is going to want a mating ceremony will all legible females to join him,”

“Yes,”

“The females will be going into heat within the next week or so, my son. It is a dangerous time. You remember how wolves can get?”

I looked over at Peter, his eyebrows furrowed as he surely recalled the memories of sending his beloved wife away for weeks until her heat was over, sending her to a quiet place with loyal guards to keep her safe and alone in the cabin, surrounded only females. The cabin was used to protect the women from the mating process if they weren’t intending to have pups. It was a status of honour for the women to be sent to the cabin and protected in such ways, however, I never recalled Peter enjoying it. Nor mother. There were many arguments.

“There are few this season that I’m worried about. If George wants any, he can have them,”

“Even Edith?”

“I don’t see how she’s relevant,” I said coolly.

“I hear she hasn’t been able to sit still for the past two days,”

Curious, I turned to my Father. He was clearly amused, being the one that raised me into the man I was. I crossed my arms over my chest and flexed without realizing, asserting my dominance around me like a halo. I felt the shift of the other wolves around into their animal form and they scurried off to stay close to the pack. “I didn’t do anything she couldn’t handle,”

“I’m not sure there’s anything that one can’t handle, Donovan,” he chuckled to himself, scratching his chin lightly. “But if I remember correctly, most Lunas enjoy being controlled. Soon enough, she’ll be begging for those types of punishments,”

Grimacing, I turned away from him. I wasn’t going to talk about my sex life with my Father.

Nor was I going to tell him how quickly the blood had rushed to my pelvis during the memorable scene.

“You know, I sent your Mother away on her heats for her safety. The woman truly was quite the masochist and it made it hard for me to control myself. I assume you’re probably like me in that way,”

I made an awful face, leaving him alone without another word. Disgusting. It didn’t matter how or what I felt towards Edith. After all, she was not at the age of heat, therefore could not be claimed as mine own.

The thought of having her alone with me in bed made my stomach turn, my balls tightening in a habit they seemed to have formed when I thought of Edith’s delicate body. She needed to eat more. She was too skinny.  I smiled inwardly, imagining her in my lap, munching quietly at whatever I offered her to eat.