Nine

Donovan

                I kicked in my office door, throwing my clothes onto the couch, my pants being the exception. I stepped into the clingy fabric and looked down in distaste at my shredded couch. Before, it had been such a lovely colour with vibrant patterns. Now, the velvet green had turned to sprinkles of white stuffing.

“Give me an update on Edith,” I barked, attempting to do up the buttons on my pants. However, my raging hard on made that more than difficult. I gave up and left them undone. “I want to see Max personally. Bring him here,”

I didn’t need to turn around to know that somebody would be off fetching one of my most trusted wolves. But of course, that still didn’t please me.

“And who is running the evening’s perimeters? Call in our backups; I want everyone on double time. No doubt that there will be fends sniffing around tonight,”

I slammed my hands onto my desk, clenching them into fists as I tried to figure out what else I wanted to be done.

“If you’re not going to just come out and ask me about it, I can always just tell you,” a calm voice said. An eerie calm.

“Father for God’s sake how many times have I told you-”

“All I’m saying,” he interrupted me, waving off my death glare, “Is that when the wolf inside a man smells his mate there is no stopping him. I was the very same,”

“We’re less than a week away now. The mating process will be over soon enough,” I grumbled over my shoulder.

I didn’t want to think about people mating around me or lovely scents filling my nostrils more than I wanted to just stick my cock into an ice pond. Nothing, absolutely nothing, would help. I had tried everything.

“Our young females seem to be bold lately. Edith has surely heard something to make her ears twitch by now.”

I spun on him, looking down to make eye contact. I was easily a foot taller, though his wrinkles were from age and mine were from stress. Truly, I didn’t know which one of us was winning. And he could tell. The grin on his face gave it all away. I sat down on my desk and crossed my legs to subtly hide my manhood, though my demeanor hadn’t changed.

What kinds of thing would make Edith’s ears twitch?

The thought of anything of Edith’s twitching caused my balls to tighten even further.

“Son, please. I can practically smell you from here. You’re being affected by the mating process. And if you don’t do something about it soon you’re going to find yourself doing something you’ll regret. You could hurt Edith,”

“I would never hurt her,”

His black eyes turned on me, his sparse eyebrows raising.

“Not on purpose. But the minute you finally wake up from your arousal and get a sniff of hers… we all go down,”

I was on my feet in less than a full second, crouched and snarling.

“You might want to consider sending her somewhere safe,”

Safe.

Edith would be safe in my arms.

In a flurry of fur and fangs, I found myself on top of my desk this time, all of my personal things scattered across the room. I looked down at the doorway where Max was standing, alert and…concerned. I looked down at myself and wondered what had come over me. I looked at my father for support, but he merely shook his end.