Chapter TwentySeven

Erica

On Friday I missed out on school to go to a doctors appointment with Mum. These bad migraines I was experiencing worried her, so she insisted I get a check up to make sure I was okay. Truthfully I didn’t wanna go. It could be something life threatening or to do with my amnesia. I really didn’t want any more bad news.

My GP, Doctor Holman, did the usual check ups with my pulse and breathing, then he felt my forehead.

“Are you feeling any pain right now, Erica?”

I shook my head. “It comes and goes.”

He then used the back of his hand to feel my neck. “What happens when the migraine comes?”

I glanced at Mum, who nodded with encouragement. Neither of them knew about the behavioural change when my forehead started hurting, and I didn’t really want to explain it. They may think I’ve gone mad.

“My forehead starts throbbing and my vision goes a little blurry,” I muttered.

He nodded and jotted down some notes on his clipboard before wheeling his chair over to the computer. “You appear to have an Ophthalmoplegic migraine.”

Mum and I blinked at each other and looked at him curiously. “Ortho-what?” Mum asked.

Dr Holman began typing down something on his computer. “A rare type of migraine called Ophthalmoplegia. It’s common for young teenagers like Erica. Everything she has said so far describes it.” He suddenly turned to me. “Do you experience vomiting or any seizures during these migraines?”

“Erm, no.”

“Double vision or paralysis of the eyes?”

Now I was getting scared. “No...”

He continued to type down his notes. “Well that’s good. It seems your migraines are still minor. But these symptoms could still very well happen, so you must be careful.”

I frowned at hearing that.

“What causes these migraines?” Mum asked.

“Well, Erica’s current condition may have something to do with it.” I sighed when I realised that what I was dreading had actually come true. “Her brain is still slowly developing after her incident, and this could merely be a side effect.” He began to print off a coloured slip and used his pen to write something down on it. “When did Erica last have an EEG scan?”

“Roughly a month ago,” she answered for me.

Dr Holman continued writing. “It would be best to schedule her for another one just so we can check for any aneurysms or bulging spots in the brain.”

“What?” I almost shrieked.

He looked up from the paper and gave me a gentle smile. “It’s not harmful, Erica; just another symptom of your migraine. If we do happen to see any changes in your scans, we can treat it right away.”

I sighed and felt defeated. So that meant yet another brain scan? I was really getting tired of them monitoring my skull. But I guess it was necessary to make sure I got better. Still...why can’t I just fully recover already?

Dr Holman finished writing and handed Mum a slip. “In the meantime I’ve prescribed some strong painkillers for Erica’s migraines. I’ll arrange an appointment for her at the hospital for an EEG.”

Mum nodded and tucked the slip in her bag. “Thank you doctor. Come, Erica.”

I stood up and thanked him and then we left. As we walked to the pharmacy I couldn’t help but think of my future, and how long I would be suffering with these weird symptoms and side effects of my amnesia. I wanted to be normal again, but it seems like just a dream now.