Chapter 4: Disguises

I know this is a short chapter, but I wanted to change the P.O.V half way through.  So I decided to made it short, and keep the chapter in a full character's P.O.V :)

Brie’s P.O.V

My whole body froze and my heart beat quickened.  Its yellow eyes pierced into my face, making me feel instantly uncomfortable.  The forest was home to lots of animals, some even the wildest of imaginations would have difficultly dreaming, but it was not a home to werewolves, not this deep into its dark undergrowth.  The creature was breathing heavily; I could hear him from where I was stood.  It increased my fear, which slowly seeped through my veins to my heart, paralysing me to the spot under its gaze.

Yet, as much as I was afraid, I was intrigued by the animal that stood before me.  I usually stayed as far away from other wizards who had too been changed into this creature.  They’re disgusting and vile, who fight amongst themselves and bet against how many people they can bite in one night, but I had never seen one who had changed into an actual werewolf.

My heart began to beat even faster than before.  What if he understood what I have been through?  What if he is cursed like me?  I can’t think like that.  Nobody can really understand what I have been through.  I’ve never been bitten, so how can I relate to any other deadly werewolves.  I have to face the truth that I can’t. 

My eyes never left the yellow pair watching me.  How strange, was the one thought that circled my mind.  I felt as though a mirror was being held up in front of me, my reflection starting out of the water up at me.  Maybe I didn’t need to fear for my life, if we are the same.

Suddenly he took a step in my direction, pulling me back into the present.  I should run, and keep running until I have shaken him off.  A small bead of swear formed on my forehead, threatening to give away my calm impressions.  The werewolf didn’t look friendly, just the way I didn’t look approachable in this form either.  Panic flew around in my stomach.  What if he kills me tonight?  Then I would have died in the forest, alone and unknown like most of the legends state happen.

A light mist was clinging to the forest floor, spreading over the undergrowth like a soft blanket.  Slowly the monster lifted his muzzle to the moon and let out a low growling howl making me shiver.  This is it, he has called all his murdering friends and now you’re going to die.  My brain was more awake than ever, chanting these words over and over.  As quickly as he appeared, he hurled himself in my direction, his long strides catching up to me in no time.  This was the push I needed to keep myself safe.  I yelped loudly in fear, before turning on my heel to get away from the danger.

The mist separated and swirled around my feet as it broke apart, before settling back down into the ground.  I tore through the long grasses of the forest floor, scratching myself on thorns as I went by.  Tonight, I wasn’t going to die; I was going to make sure of that.  My heart began to beat faster and faster, threatening to burst inside my chest, but I managed to make myself to go that extra step, willing it with my whole life. 

I leaped over a fallen tree log with power, trying to put as much distance between me and the monster as possible.  On the opposite side of the log were fairies.  A large bundle of them floated in the air and ground creating a little lamp.  I didn’t have time to stop before colliding into them causing them to scatter and light up the forest in small sections for me to see better in.  In my vision, I could see their tiny faces full of pure hatred, just like most of the wizarding world saw werewolves.

After a while I began to pant loudly, I couldn’t go on any further or I would end up dying from exhaustion.  It wasn’t like me to run away from my problems, I wasn’t like my parents!  A red hot blast of anger surged through my entire body making me skid to a stop.  I had run away from my home because of a bully, and now I am nothing better than any other coward. 

In the distance an owl hooted, breaking the silence around me.  There seemed to be no life in this part of the forest, I glance around at the darkness, my eyes adjusting to the black surroundings.  The mist had risen, getting thicker and higher into the trees. 

A low growl escaped through my mouth giving me a false sense of confidence.  In the darkness I began to make my way back, retracing each footstep carefully.  I had been chased out of my territory; well no one will be taking anything from me again so easily.  The werewolf is just another wizard in disguise, hiding away from the real person inside, just like me.