The Thief Steals Home

When Sarah woke up, Blue was gone but the rest of the Aicurs had returned and were stretched out in various places around the apartment. Green was asleep in front of the door, Indigo at the foot of Sarah's bed. Yellow had taken Blue's place in front of the couch while everyone else had chosen individual rooms.

It was a subtle way of keeping guard. There was no place to go in the apartment where one might be alone. Even the bathroom had Sunset sleeping in the bath tub.

She had managed to draw the curtain to afford anyone using the commode some privacy. Sarah couldn't resist a peek at the sleeping Aicur. Sunset was smiling, flexing her claws in her sleep as she dreamed.

In the kitchen, Sarah popped some bread under the broiler for toast. Green opened his eyes briefly. "Did you get enough to eat?" Sarah asked him.

"Yes, thanks. Did you know you had mice?" he replied over his radio. "That is, you had mice. Red has developed quite a craving for the little things."

"The pantry and I will have to thank her later," Sarah laughed. "How much longer does she have?"

"Not sure," Green yawned. "Time is different here." He closed his eyes again. Sarah retrieved her toast and buttered it.

Declan padded in from the main room. "I thought I heard you about. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I guess; as well as ever. Toast?" Sarah handed him a piece. Declan bit into it, taking a quarter of the piece in one bite.

"Mm, thanks. Is there any coffee?"

Sarah eyed the dark rings under his eyes. "I think you could use a few more hours in bed. Why don't you go join Indigo?"

"I'm not tired enough to sleep well yet. Besides," he grinned at her and stole a quick kiss. "I'd much rather be in here with you."

Sarah smiled and grabbed the kettle. "Well, when you put it that way, I guess I'll make coffee."

Declan and Sarah were still lingering over breakfast when Blue returned. His entrance served as a wake-up call for the others, because the Aicurs roused one at a time and gathered in the main room after he arrived. As soon as Yellow moved, Birdman made for the bathroom. Declan and Sarah brought their mugs of coffee in and sat on the couch together. "It will soon be time," Blue told them.

Moments later, Birdman returned from the lavatory and confirmed what Blue had said. "The airport is sending a shuttle for us," he remarked. "It should be here shortly."

He did not call the airport, Sunset warned, coming from the bathroom herself. No doubt if Major had seen me in the tub, he would have sent me away to make that call. He intends you harm, Sarah.

We must make plans, Green decided. We will not leave Sarah. Declan, you and Sarah continue as if we are not discussing this. Sunset, what did you hear?"

He asked if everything was ready and complained about the lack of privacy. The person he was talking to said they would be ready, something about catchpoles? We must not get in the van. Sarah, I do not think there is a plane for us.

Sarah drained her coffee and went into the bathroom. "Can you hear me?" she whispered, running the sink for effect.

When all six Aicurs responded that they could hear her very well, Sarah whispered, "no, I don't think there's a plane either, Sunset. But dogs are not ordinarily allowed on public transportation. We can use that for an excuse, but how are we going to cross the Atlantic with no plane?" She flushed the toilet and returned to the couch.

"Would you like more coffee, Love?" Declan asked casually. Without waiting for a reply, he took her cup and his to the kitchen.

Sarah, Declan says we must find a boat to take us, Blue told her.