Part Three

That first night we talked for what seemed like forever. We figured out we were a lot alike, even our ideas were similar.

            We are now a month into training for becoming The Leader. We’ve become extremely close, telling each other all our opinions and ideas. Everything so far has been a piece of cake, I think that’s the saying, not sure, since cake is a luxury.

            We noticed that there are certain luxuries we get here that we would have never gotten at home. Dessert, mirrors, something called a cell phone, and much more.

            Training is becoming more difficult by a little. At first we were just learning what being a leader meant, but now we’re being tested on our leadership, and I’m not sure I like it. We’re not allowed to talk back to our teachers, not even questions.

There’s one simple rule to follow: Obey.

It is the hardest rule we’ve ever come across, at home we had more freedom than here. Scarlett has never been good at obeying, and neither have I. We both think outside of the box. We are still trying to figure out why they picked two stubborn and curious 17 year olds instead of two that listen to everything.

Living and training here has just made me confident that I don’t agree with what’s going on. Why do we get luxuries here, and not at home? How is that fair? The Change is all about fairness, or at least I thought so.

“Hey, Zac? You up?” The door to my bedroom opened a little, and Scarlett stood there. We finished training about an hour ago and I went straight to bed, even though I wasn’t really tired.

“Yeah,” I answered, sitting up, “what’s up?”

She grinned, “Feeling up to some exploring?”

I laughed, “Always.” We had explored once before, but quickly got caught. This time we’ll be more careful.

She opened my door fully and jumped onto my bed, “Then hurry up and get dressed!” I laughed and started getting dressed.

“Ready?” She asked.

I gave her a thumbs up, “Ready.” We tip toed out of the apartment and down a hallway. She suddenly stopped and point towards the ceiling, right where a vent was.

“Let’s go through there, that way we won’t get caught,” excitement laced her voice. I agreed. I helped her up and then hoisted myself up. Scarlett was already crawling down the vent.

“Slow down,” I whispered.

“No, you hurry up!”

I managed a grumble, “Fine.” We traveled for a while until we heard voices.

“Did you hear what happened to Zac’s mom?” Said a woman. My heart stopped.

“No, what?” replied a man’s voice.

“She broke her leg and had to stop working.”

“Did she get taken care of?”

“Yup, dead as a doornail. Good riddance, I think. We don’t need anyone who can’t work loitering around.” Dead as a doornail? My mother is dead? All because she broke her leg? Getting “taken care of” is being killed? A million questions bombarded my brain.

“Zac?” Scarlett asked quietly. I didn’t respond. “Come on, just follow me.” We traveled back down the vent and back into the apartment. Scarlett led me to the couch and did something unexpected, she hugged me. It comforted me more than talking would. The tears started flowing freely as I sobbed quietly.

“I think the best thing to do is see what they have to say tomorrow.” I said a weak okay and fell asleep hugging her.