iv

OLENA AND JOSEPH LAY in bed together, legs entwined beneath the crisp sheets, the ceiling fan blowing lightly. joseph rolled to face her better, propping himself up onto an elbow as his other hand reached out to brush the hair away from his lover's face. "did you ever think we'd find each other and fall in love again?"

without even opening her eyes, olena gave a very firm, "always."

"really?"

"of course."

"how did you know?"

olena opened her eyes, rolling over to look him in the eye. "when we parted ways, my little love, i had a dream. it was something like this, the two of us older and in our own bed. i never feared once that we wouldn't cross paths after that, just didn't know when it would happen. and so i waited for you all those years. waited for the day we ran into each other one way or another."

joseph, desperate to hide the tears streaming down his cheeks, wiggled his body down in the bed to wrap his arms around her waist, pressing his face to her stomach. "do you promise to never leave me again?"

chuckling softly, olena ran her fingers through his hair gently. "as long as you promise to never leave me."

"olls?"

"yes, my sweet joey?"

looking up to lock eyes with her, he asked, "will you marry me?"

to which the woman replied, "first of all, it is one in the goddamn morning, it's a little early to be asking that. second of all, i'm already married to you, what the hell do you mean?"

joseph laugh, wiping at his face. pushing her on her back, he crawled atop so that his body hovered above hers. "marry me again, olena."

"much better," she smiled, arms reaching up to wrap around his torso.

"so it that a yes?"

"does a bear shit in the woods?"

•••

olena (veronica)
joseph (john)
benjamin (roger)
gwilym (brian)
rami (freddie)
lucy (mary)

john
hey hey hey!

veronica
hammer to fall!

freddie
nope

absolutely not

it's too early

john
it's never too early

benjamin
mate, it's even earlier here than it is
there

this better be good

john
believe me

it's smashing good news

brian
go on

out with it

mary
guyssss

hurry up

i'm tired

veronica
could we get a drumroll please

roger
drumroll intensifies 🥁

john
we're getting married!!!!

brian
that's what you woke us up for