Q&A 1

Q1 Why the relation between one of her brother is complicated, what happened? 

By jhonghwa

In chapter 1 it was briefly mentioned that she's the illegitimate daughter of a very rich and powerful man who divorced his wife and married her mother instead. And that the brothers are the children of the first wife.

She has a complicated family and that is sort of why she's rather detached to everything (like the disregard to fill her apartment with homely stuff). The older brother is Kim Jaesung (as mentioned in chapter 14) and the younger one is Kim Daehyun, the one she doesn't get along with.

The reason is that their father divorced his first wife when they were very young. Jaesung was 14 and Daehyun was 10. Soojung was only 9. She doesn't have much age difference with Daehyun but when their father divorced his mother for her mother, he started detesting them. Jaesung wasn't a huge fan of them either but he slowly started warming up to her. In the beginning it was mostly pity that he had for her since after the marriage, her mother started ignoring her, focused on her growing social standing and circle and eventually abandoned her. Jaesung pitied the young girl who had no toys, no friends and was now left alone in a foreign mansion with an ignorant mother, unbothered father and his bitter ex-wife and her kids (Yes, for a while, they shared the home because their father didn't wanted the sons to be parted from him. Eventually another mansion was made on the property behind the main mansion and the first wife and the brothers shifted there).

Daehyun was really mean to her since childhood so Jaesung pitied her even more. Since he started being nice to her and was the first person to do so, Soojung clung to him for life. Their father was proud of him for that so he continued doing it to keep him happy in the beginning but eventually he grew attached to her and started genuinely caring for her.

Once in middle school, she came home beaten by some kids who were her bullies. They would bully her for being an illegitimate child and Daehyun would support them. She came home with a busted lip and swollen eyes. The next day he himself went to their middle school and berated the bullies and threatened the teacher. Since it was known who he was, the teachers got scared and started protecting her. He later taught Soojung to stand for herself and started teaching her little self-defense moves.

They used to stick together in all the official parties as well mostly because she was very scared of them in the beginning. When san came into the picture, it was because Jaesung had to meet some officials and couldn't stick with her. He was happy she found someone else but also felt jealous when he saw how much they were hanging out. He deemed San fit for her company when he invited them for lunch and that was the most stressful 3 hours of San's life – that was how badly he interrogated him.

When after leaving Seonghwa's home after getting together with him, he was the one Soojung called first, even before San. He told her he wanted to meet him which she politely declined because, "she doesn't want her boyfriend to be scared away so soon".

He was the one who gifted her the apartment because he saw how suffocating the mansion was for her.

Daehyun, on the other hand, was merely civil to her. He had no contact whatsoever with her unless required of him. And you can't even blame him. He was a proper mamma's boy and after the divorce he saw how much her mother resented them. He merely took after her. Also he was a child back then, his mother was the one who filled him up with such hatred. Jaesung was still old enough and sensible, Daehyun wasn't. He wasn't the happiest with how close his brother was to her but he didn't particularly hated her either anymore. She was just his step-sister now, nothing less, nothing more. But they were not allowed to fight or cause a scene. Their father is very strict about his reputation in a public image setting. You can do whatever you want in private but not in public with family.

Once they had a huge fight where she apparently spilled a drink on him by mistake and he splashed a whole glass on her face. A very vocal fight between them ensued and they both got reprimanded so hard by their father later and both lost their credit cards for a month. The only cash for sustainability was provided by Jaesung to them who told them that the smartest choice for them was to maintain a civil relation with each other.

I'm sorry this got a bit out of hand and became too long. I'll post another chapter answering the other questions. hope you're satisfied jhonghwa!