Chapter Two: Presidential Problems

Hey! This chapter took a ridiculously long to upload, but it also took loads of time to write...starting books is always so difficult for me. I have so many parts in the middle of the book i want to write but I have to start it first. So frustrating. I'm going to try and upload more often now that cross-country's over, because that was my main time-consumer. But we'll see. Anyway, please enjoy this next chapter and shoot me a comment with any questions - I feel like it's too confusing right now. Please help me!!

Pic of Kat (Cassadee Pope) ------->

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Two: Presidential Problems

The last school bell that signaled the end of the day was like music to my ears. It had been the longest day of my life, and I was so eager to get out and get back to the house that I ended up waiting for Sam in the parking lot for a solid ten minutes.

I leaned against the door of his Jeep, tapping my phone against my leg and wondering what it would be like to actually have someone to text. Sure, Becca and Jessie had given me their numbers, but I couldn’t think of anything I would possibly text them. My only option was to text Sam to tell him to hurry up.

“Sorry about the wait,” he said when he finally showed up, digging in his pocket for his keys. It took him a moment to find them. His button-down shirt was un-tucked, his tie hanging loose around his neck, and his backpack slouched low over his shoulder.

“Do you usually do something after school,” I asked as we climbed into the Jeep, “or should I meet you here?”

Sam started the engine, raking a hand through tousled sandy hair. “Nah, usually I just go home. Sometimes I’ll run with the football team if they’re doing distance, but that’s pretty rare.”

So he did run. That made me a pause a moment before I said hesitantly, “Yeah, Becca mentioned you go running a lot.”

He lifted one shoulder, his eyes fixed on the road as we exited the long driveway of Kingswood Prep, but I didn’t miss the tiny shadow that crossed his face or the way his knuckles clenched the wheel a little more tightly. Sighing, I leaned my head back against the seat.

“I was supposed to know that, wasn’t I?”

“It’s not your fault,” he said, his green eyes shifting to me. “I mean, yeah, we used to run together all the time. But I know you probably don’t remember that.”

I played with the button on my skirt. “I’m sorry, Sam –”

“Haven’t we been over the whole not apologizing to me thing?” he interrupted, spinning the wheel a little aggressively. “I should just assume you don’t remember anything about us, like we agreed I would. I think I knew this would happen when you woke up and barely knew what my name was.”

“Well.” I swallowed. “I’ll get better, I promise.”

Sam shrugged, his fingers tapping against the wheel. “It’s whatever, Kat, okay? Just concentrate on this assignment right now. That’ll probably be hard enough for you as it is. We can discuss it when we get home,” he continued, glancing over his shoulder, “so you can know what’s actually going on.”