Flashback 4

6 Years Ago – Bad news turns to worse news

Abu got better after the scare of him saying he wanted to bid us farewell. He even came home later in the week and I sought Isa’s permission to stay with him. Isa readily agreed and came to visit often. I had hope then, that he would recover. By the end of the week, I was determined he would recover. After all, doctors did get things wrong.

Abu was ecstatic to hear the news of my pregnancy. I was glad he didn’t say anything about living, or not living, to see the child. He just gave me lots of blessings and prayers. I was also determined to spend as much time with Abu as possible, having a laugh like we always did.

On Saturday morning, I took tea to Abu’s room and sat with him. I asked him to tell me stories about his childhood, for who didn’t like hearing stories of their parents’ childhood? He grew up in a place so different to ours.

“I remember once, there was a wedding,” Abu began. “Back then, only the rich had luxuries like tissues.” I knew this story, but I liked to listen to every story as if it was my first time hearing it. “We were kind of poor, innocent people. Things got better when I was growing up but I did see a little glimpse of what life used to be like. Although I did have the pleasure of experiencing no technology, close communities, no fear and it was amazing.” Abu looked away with a small nostalgic smile on his face.

“You and your brother and sisters sitting by one single candle memorizing pages of books for your homework was amazing?” I asked, recalling the other stories he’d told me.

“Maybe it didn’t feel so amazing at the time but now when I look back at it, it was amazing.” We always did this. We started one conversation and it led onto another.

“Back to the tissues, Abu.”

“Ah yes, the tissues.” He chuckled softly before continuing. “I can’t remember very clearly but I heard the incident many times from my father after that. So a rich family was having a wedding nearby and they had invited us all to go. On every table, in front of every person was a tissue. People had never seen anything of the sort. Unsure of what it was, people began to assume its purpose. All of a sudden, people began to eat it thinking it was food!” Abu and I laughed, shaking our heads. I looked up to see Abu’s untouched mug of tea beside him.

“Abu, drink your tea. It’s getting cold,” I said, taking it off the bedside drawer.

“I don’t want to,” He moaned like a child, making me smile.

“Please? I made it. Drink it for me.” He took the mug from my hands and brought it to his lips. He sipped his last few sips of tea, and perhaps he knew. I didn’t. Never was my father going to drink any tea again.

It was later that night when his health got bad again. Thinking Abu was improving, I had left to go home, only for a short while to collect a few things. Isa was enquiring about how long it would be before I came home.

“The house is far too silent without you,” He complained while I packed some clothes.

“I thought you said I talked too much.”

“You do but I’ve grown used to it and I maybe even find it a little endearing.” Isa looked up at me hopefully and I shook my head, fighting a grin.

“You know I can’t come home yet. I want to stay with Abu until I’m sure he’s completely fine.” A look of doubt crossed Isa’s face. “What? Don’t you think he’ll get better? He is getting better!” I said defensively.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You didn’t need to.” Isa stood up and pulled me towards him, rubbing my forehead with his thumb to get rid of my frown. For some odd reason, it always worked. I stopped frowning and just leaned my head on his shoulder.