T o p i c: Stockholm Syndrome

Topic: Stockholm Syndrome

Stockholm Syndrome: or capture bonding is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors as kindness. Stockholm Syndrome can be seen as a form of traumatic bonding, which does not necessarily require hostage scenario, but which describes “strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other”.

                    Hmm, does anyone see any positive words in that? Anyone, anyone at all – well, please, don’t speak all at once! Anyone see any key words? Such as: Danger, victim, mistake, harass, beat, threaten, abuse, intimidate, traumatic bonding! Now, half the girls on Wattpad have a story about this kind of thing!

                    But of course – it’s glammed up, put in a nice Prada dress, concealed with some beautiful expensive MAC Make Up, and the hair is done up all pretty –disguising this monster! I think subconsciously the writers write about these things, and don’t really know what the under lying brain damage the character is actually going through.

                    Anyone who is whisked up and taken from their family or caretaker – is kidnapped. Anyone who falls in love with that kidnapper has already had their psyche played with so badly that their thought process is breaking up and smashing together, and things that should click just aren’t clicking, and things aren’t working properly for you to think this is okay. Example:

Lounging on the plush couch eating a bag of UTZ Sour Cream and Onion chips, I happily much on the crisps, watching an episode of Malcolm In The Middle. I soon slip into my own personal reverie, and think of how I got here. How when he saw me he thought I was so perfect he wanted to keep me to himself, and captured me, and brought me to this little shack in the woods. My eyes flash over to the clock, and I realize it’s 4:28! “Shit,” I mutter. Terrance – the Alpha of a pack (just for ha-ha’s guys) is going to come home and beat the crud out of me. It was a Wednesday, and it was almost four thirty, and there was no meatloaf made? I was dead! I quickly rush into the kitchen. I had to try and do something – anything! I take the block of beef, and begin trying to make the diner.  I sob over the frozen beef, as the tumblers of the front door begin to unlock.

                    “Hey honey, how’s dinner?”

                    “Uh… in – uh… the…in… “ I couldn’t control myself, I inevitably broke down. Terrance stormed in, and looked at the block of frozen meat. His eyes flared with rage. He then took a hard swing at my face, making a crunching sound when his fist made contact with my face. I turn around to face him with my throbbing face, pleading for mercy. He pushes me down on the ground, and kicks me in my ribs.

                    “Where is meatloaf!” he shouts over and over again. I cry loudly as he takes my wrist and snaps it back. “Where is meatloaf?” he shouts again. I didn’t know. I couldn’t respond. I was too scared. I didn’t want to say the wrong thing! “Bitch! You better answer me!”

                    “I don’t know!” I scream.

                    He gives me another blow to the stomach, and makes me promise I’ll never forget to cook the meatloaf of Wednesday – and he said that I’d have to cook dinner from now on with only one hand until my other recovers. I cry in a heap in the floor. Then I realize he wasn’t done with his dirty work. He dragged me back to his room, and violated me.

Four weeks have gone by since me and Terrance’s altercation. I’ve tried being super good for him, and I never forgot to make that meatloaf on Wednesday. Ever. He hasn’t hit me either, and I actually think I love him. I really think I love him. And I think he loves me too. Yesterday, he bought me some roses. Though I’m allergic, I excepted them graciously, and put them on my nightstand. My face is kind of swollen and itchy, but it’ll go away.

                    “Hey sweetheart,” Terrance says, kissing me on the cheek walking in the house.

                    “Hey,” I smile up at him, placing his meatloaf in front of him. He looks down at it and smiles.

                    “You’ve done good Hadley … you’ve done good – so good… I want to marry you.”

                    My eyes brim with tears! He wanted me! I could feel my heart soaring out of my chest and my stomach fluttering. “Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!”

Later we had four kids, and we all lived happily ever after.

No… no… NO! What in the fuck! Is this cute? Are things like that cute? Does a girl getting the shit beat out of her by a man not so much older than you secretly turn you on? I think people who write these stories kind of have Father issues or something – but that’s more so with the sex slave things and other stuff like that (that’s another topic though!)  Notice how the beginning was not that clear and kind of quick how she got there without elaboration? I hate when people don’t elaborate on how they got a certain place. -.-

Conclusion: Most characters who are kidnapped and end up falling in love (I view it as being tripped into love) are most likely experiencing Stockholm Syndrome, and I think it’s really sad. D: