CHAPTER FOUR - SQUIRREL

It was a full minute before I remembered how to function.

"Ha-ha. That's funny. Neverland. Like, Peter Pan Neverland? I don't think so."

Peter's eyes widened.

"How do you know my name?"

I gave him a flat look.

"You just told me. Peter, remember?"

He tilted his head and regarded me through slitted eyes.

"I told you my name was Peter. How did you know my full name was Peter Pan?"
It was my turn to look at him as if he was crazy.

"Your name is actually Peter Pan? You're kidding."

Peter said nothing, only leaning forward to touch my face. I jerked back, letting his fingers fall a few centimetres short.

"Who are you really, Natalie? I've changed my mind. I think I want to know your real name."

I glared at him.

"Fine. My real name is Rena, okay?"

For some reason I didn't want to tell him my actual name.

It was something precious these strange people didn't know about me, and I intended to keep it that way.

Rena.

The name seemed familiar somehow, as if I'd heard it a million times before. It just felt...right.

He blinked twice.

"Rena," he said, rolling the name around on his tongue.

It was amazing how he could make such an ordinary name sound so exotic when he said it...

"Okay. What are you doing here, Rena? How did you get here? Other than falling from the sky, of course."

"I..."

"Peter! You'll never believe what we caught today!"

An excited shout echoed around the room as a young boy entered.

When he turned, I fought the urge to gasp at his face.

He had the face of a squirrel.

A small black nose laden with whiskers on either side twitched when he turned. Beady eyes followed my movements unnervingly.

I did the only sensible thing I could think of.

I opened my mouth and screamed bloody murder.