CHAPTER TWO - TALIA

So...next chapter is up! Enjoy it, people. It took me a butt load of time to write.
Luv,
Mel

"Here, Peter! She's coming round."

My head was so heavy I couldn't find the strength to lift it. I couldn't even move my tongue around my mouth. It hurt.
My limbs ached, muscles clenching painfully when I shifted.

Was this how it felt to be dead?

I thought I was going to heaven. I mean, I wasn't a bad person. But I don't think you're supposed to feel pain in heaven, so I must be somewhere else.

Probably in hell or something.

"Aargh!"

It certainly felt like it, fire searing through my limbs as I was pulled up into a sitting position all of a sudden.

But then I managed to open my eyes...and found myself staring at the handsomest boy I had ever seen.

Two glittering emerald eyes searched my face, his slightly upturned nose reminding me of a pixie. Unruly chestnut hair sat in a curly mop atop his head, giving me the uncontrollable urge to reach out and smooth it down.

He was gorgeous.

But he was also a stranger.

So it was perfectly understandable when I head butted him when he leaned in and readied my fist to punch him if he came any closer.

He landed on the floor with a muffled yelp, immediately bouncing upright.
I leapt to my feet too, feeling a wave of dizziness washing over me as I did so.
He immediately rushed to my side, holding a hand out to steady me.

I stepped back, my knees collapsing so I landed back on the bed with a thump.
"Easy," he soothed, as if I was some startled animal he'd come across.

He continued whispering softly to me, trying to calm me down.

Surprisingly, it worked. My heart stopped beating so fast. Blood stopped pounding in my ears.

"Who are you?" I demanded. Then, looking around, added, "And where am I?"

I was in a small, cosy room with walls of beige wood.

My clothes hung on a curved door set into the far wall, made so it was almost invisible. I would have missed it if I didn't see the brown doorknob attached just below the bottom of my jeans.
Looking up, I noticed there was no ceiling, just a large, dark space filled with shadows.

The boy scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Okay," he began after a pause. "This is going to sound really weird, but you kind of fell out of the sky yesterday and I managed to catch you. You're currently in the hollow tree."

I stared at him a moment, before smiling politely. He was clearly messing with me.

Either that, or he was crazy.

"Right. And was I bone dry with a pair of purple wings when you caught me?" I asked sweetly.

An adorable frown creased his forehead as he tilted his head to the right.

"Um...no. You were actually soaking wet. I had to get you changed so you didn't catch a nasty chill. And I don't think you had any wings-"

"Who changed me?"

I was wearing a long brown tunic that went down to my feet. I hoped to God this guy hadn't seen me naked.

"I had to," a bell like voice chimed.

I turned my head to see a small girl emerging from the shadows in the corner of the room. As soon as I set eyes on her, I realised she was not a small girl but in fact a young woman.

A beautiful young woman.

Long pin straight locks the colour of spun gold hung in a glossy curtain down her back. Startling pale green eyes met mine over a small, pointed nose. She was wearing a thin, strapless green top that was patterned in the form of a leaf, which displayed her bare golden shoulders, and a flowing skirt that reached her knees, showcasing her tanned legs.

Further inspection revealed her small, dainty feet, which were sheathed in delicate pointed slippers seemingly made of the same material.

She came to stand right in front of me, her petite frame only reaching my chest.

Her stare was calculating, similar to that of a snake about to strike its next victim.
Her eyes held no friendliness or warmth as she looked me up and down, somewhat disdainfully.

I immediately decided I did not like this girl.

We both spoke at the same time.

"What's your name?"

I paused, narrowing my eyes at her.

"You tell me first," I demanded.

She spat out a laugh, her porcelain features twisting into an ugly scowl.

"Why, so you can run back to Hook and tell him that you've found us? I don't think so."

"Tally!" The boy with green eyes cried, his eyes wide.

"How could you! She was almost dead when I found her. Hook certainly wouldn't let a member of his crew drown. Especially if he trusted her enough to be away from the ship by herself. "

The girl's lip curled in a sneer.

"On the contrary, he probably tried to drown her because she was an unnecessary mouth to feed. In this case, I would agree with him. She's useless. Look at her! She's hideous!"

I let out an involuntary growl. I may not understand who they were talking about, but I certainly knew when I was being insulted.

The boy stiffened, drawing himself to his full height. He towered over her, and only then did the girl's face flash with a trace of guilt.

"Talia," he said, his voice low.

"I advise you don't badmouth my guest. You have plenty of flaws yourself, so I suggest you look at those first before criticising others. I do not think this girl is hideous in the least, and I think you'll find that the boys will agree with me."

Her face flushed as she drew in a sharp breath.

"You trust too easily, Peter," she hissed, eyeing me with dislike.

"One day, it will be your downfall."

"I have yet to see that happen," The boy said slowly.

"So be it."

The girl turned on her heel and stalked out the door, her skirt swishing around her knees.

The boy, or Peter, as the girl had called him, turned to me with a tired smile.

"That," he stated in a matter of fact tone, "was Talia."