; twenty-two

P E T E R

        "We are here today to show our love and support for Zoee Atkins' precious family. Not only have we sensed our own personal feelings of loss over Zoee's passing, but our hearts have been drawn toward them, and will continue to be with them." Speaks the pastor slowly and solemnly as he stands next to the big, brown casket.

        Zoee Atkins is dead.

        Laura Atkins is devastated.

        May Parker is mournful.

        Peter Parker is guilty and numb.

        Both the bodies of Zoee Atkins and George Stacy laid on the rooftop. The Parker boy cried as he glanced from one body to the other while he frantically thought of how he was going to transport both bodies to the hospital. He felt Zoee's faint pulse so he had to act fast. He moved his gloved hands to his hair and tugged on the strands in frustration before he went towards Zoee. 

        Peter knew that the police would go up to the rooftop of the Oscorp building to arrest Curt Conners so they would find Captain Stacy's body. He was adding more guilt to the weight on his shoulders by just leaving him there but the guilt of not saving Zoee would eat him alive. Peter picked up Zoee's limp body and held her to his chest as he jumped off the building to swing to the hospital. He held her with one arm while he used his other hand to shoot webs and swing, just like how he did when he saved her that one night. 

        Tear streaks stained his face as the cold air-dried the new ones that were slipping out of his eyes. He made sure to grab his mask to conceal his identity, but he didn't slip it on right away. He contemplated going mask-less, but he knew that is anyone saw who the masked vigilante really was, he would put more people that he loved in danger. 

        He made sure to put on the mask right before nurses swarmed him when he ran into the ER. The workers fired questions at him and although he was overwhelmed, he managed to give all the information they needed. Soon, they wheeled the Atkins girl to a room to try and save her. The Parker boy clad in his Spider-Man gear quickly followed but stayed outside the door of the room she was taken into. 

        Zoee Atkins was pronounced dead as soon as she was placed into one of the emergency rooms. Peter heard the head nurse announce the time of death and he didn't hesitate to rush out of the hospital to avoid breaking down in front of everyone around him. As he did so, he felt a pair of eyes on his back but he didn't turn around to see who it was, he was too heartbroken.

        Peter made sure he was alone when he found a dark alleyway. He then yanked off his mask and screamed out into the air in agony before punching the brick wall in front of him. He yelled and sobbed and cried into the cool night air. He needed a moment to himself so he took that time to do so. He wasn't fully calm but he realized that he needed to go back to Aunt May who was worried sick for him.