The Capture

A servant came to Zeus, bowed quickly, and said, "Lord Zeus, your brother is here to see you."

     "Bring him in." Zeus said, expecting his brother Poseidon.

     The servant bowed and left. A moment later Hades entered the throne room. "Hades!" Zeus said from his throne; his exclamations sounding more like a question.

     "Zeus, I have come to ask you something." said Hades.

     "What is it? Whatever you want shall be granted this I swear upon the River Styx." Zeus replied.

     "I want your permission to have Persephone's hand in marriage."

     "Well, well that is a surprise. Would you not rather have Demeter or Hestia? They are far superior to Persephone. And A-Ares.... Oh, never mind." he broke off.

     "Ares what?" Hades asked, his eyes boring into Zeus; making the latter uncomfortable.

     "Ares wants Persephone's hand, brother."

     Hades glared at Zeus rage boiling inside of him. "He shall not have her!" Hades roared.

     "Brother..."

     "What is your answer?" Hades asked, as if Zeus had a choice.

     "You have my permission." granted Zeus.

     "Alright." Hades said, turning to leave. "Oh, and Zeus...."

     "Hmm?" he questioned.

     "Tell Ares if he so much as lays a finger on Persephone, I will feed him to Cerberus."

     "I will." Zeus replied a smile on his face.

     "But, you cannot tell Demeter of our little agreement." said Hades.

     "You have my word, but you do realize that you will have to kidnap Persephone? Demeter will never allow you to take her away, and she will become suspicious if I ask her to come here."

     "Yes, I realize this brother." Hades answered as he exited the throne room.

     "He will make a good husband, won't he Hera?"

     "Yes, he will." his wife answered coming out of the shadows were she was spying on them.

     It was a warm day, and Persephone and the nymphs were playing by the river. She sat on the ground braiding flowers into her hair, while the nymphs gossiped about things on Olympus.

     "We're going to a party next week." they said to her. "Maybe you can come with us?"

     "I don't think.... I mean mother will never allow me to go." she whispered.

     "That's too bad. It's Apollo's party; I heard he wanted you to come."

     "Yes, too bad." she answered, trying to contain her laughter.

     She thought of being on Mount Olympus, she had only been a few times. She did not think it could compare to her home, also everyone there paid her too much attention.

     "Goodbye Persephone." they said distracting her from her thoughts.

     "Goodbye." she replied, waving them away.

     She sighed hating to be alone, even if her friends weren't her favorite people. Why could the nymphs cross the river and do all the things she could not? She reached down for another flower, but there were none. Persephone got up and walked to her garden to look for the flowers she wanted, but she couldn't find them. She checked in the meadow, and anywhere else she could think of, but she couldn't find the right ones. Persephone walked back to the river and on the other side of the bank sat a bunch of the yellow flowers. She sighed. "Why can't I go across the river?" she whispered, questioning the wind. Then she remembered her mother wasn't home. "She won't ever know." she said decidedly.

     She held her dress high, so it wouldn't get wet, and walked across the river. The trees stopped swaying, as if holding their breath for what was about to happen.

     Hades smiled a wide and devilish grin. Everything was going exactly as he had planned.

     Persephone came to the flowers, they weren't the ones she wanted but they were so beautiful. She bent down to pick them and caught a whiff of their scent. She gently plucked the flowers from their roots, and a hole was left in the ground. Puzzled by the size of the hole, she backed away. Then out of the ground came a black chariot, with two big black horses that had long flowing manes of fire; and a driver covered in black clothing from head to toe. Persephone stood there frozen in shock, and then realized what was happening and started to run. As she ran, she tripped on a tree root and her dress tore. Right as she was about to be trampled by the horses, a strong arm pulled her up. At first she was relieved to be saved, she then realized who had helped her up.

     She screamed. It was Hades, god of the underworld.

     "Shh, it's alright. It's alright." he said trying to calm her down. He held her hand and continued trying to console her.

     She pushed him away. "Don't touch me!" she cried, sobs racking her body.

     He dropped her hand.

     "Let me go back! Let me go back!" she screamed.

     "No." he replied calmly.

     She hit him.

     He was not affected by the hit; because her weak fists did little harm.

     The ground opened up wider, and the chariot dove into the hole. She screamed and gripped his arm. He laughed at her sudden movement; surprised because only a moment ago she had screamed at him for holding her hand.

     His laugh made her cry even harder.