The End

Demeter was approaching the doors leading to the throne room. She had just come from Helios's palace, and she needed to find Zeus. Hades, Hades had her daughter. Her sweet, beautiful, and young daughter.

     "Zeus!" she screeched as she burst through the doors. Zeus sat on his throne, past the steps of Olympus, watching Demeter carefully. "I want her back, I want my daughter back now!"

     "Demeter...." he started.

     "Hades, how dare you let him take her? How dare you?" she screamed, interrupting him.

     "Demeter you are overreacting. I am sure she is perfectly well."

     "Perfectly well? She must be terrified, frightened out of her wits. How could you have done this? You must bring her back now!" she shouted in outrage.

     "I will do no such thing!" Zeus replied, just as angry.

     "Then I will destroy this earth, and the gods and their subjects will be destroyed with it —unless my daughter is returned!"

     Zeus gaped at her. Hera then entered the room, upon hearing the shouting. "Demeter, what is the matter?" she questioned.

     "My daughter will be returned, or the earth will perish!"

     "Demeter please, be rational. You will only cause yourself more pain, if you hurt the earth, and then we shall all die, and for no reason."

     Demeter stopped to think. "But my daughter...." she started.

     "Will be returned." said Hera glaring at Zeus. Demeter stared shocked, and Zeus began to protest.

     "She will be returned, Zeus. And the peace will be restored." Hera interrupted.

     Demeter smiled triumphantly, and stormed out of the room. "Hera...." Zeus began.

     "Be quiet. It was the only way. Hades with have to live without the girl. In the morning you shall send Hermes to the underworld, to fetch the poor child."

     "Yes, dear."

     Hermes tentatively walked to the gates of the underworld. The giant dog was there, that dog terrified him to no end.

     As he reached the gates the dog's heads growled at him, as if they knew what he was here to do. Hermes quickened his pace and reached the gates. He hurried through them to the River Styx, where the gloomy ferryman stood aboard his boat.

     He approached the bedraggled young man. "Hello, Charon." he said, in the most pleasant tone he could muster. Charon ignored him and held out his hand.

     "Ah, yes. I must pay my fees." he added, reaching into his pocket for a drachma. Hermes placed it in the outstretched hand, then got into the boat. He sat down carefully, trying not to rock the small vessel.

     The ferryman started to the other side. "How is business in the underworld?" he asked. The other young man did not answer but continued forward. "I guess not." Hermes mumbled. He stared down at his feet.

     Soon they reached the other side. Hermes stood up, bid Charon goodbye, and went to the palace doors. He looked up, etched on both doors was the face of a terrified soul. He shuddered, and walked to the doors.

     Hermes knocked. The door was answered by a young girl. Hermes looked closely, she was transparent. She was definitely a shade.

     "Hello, can I help you?" the shade questioned.