Silence is a Heart Beat

I woke up to the sound of my stupid alarm, my boxes were packed from he night we finished dinner with my mom. Oh that cauliflower was delicious, I finished thinking about yesterday's food and started to get up. As I was brushing my teeth, I got a text from Persephone.

'hey..can you meet me at the bathroom during fourth period lunch? I have something to tell you about this place again....thanks!!'

I turned off my phone, my heart skipped a beat after reading hat text message. Her texting style was so cute, along with her. I shook the though out of her out of my head and finished my routine. My mom drove us to school, Adrian and I sitting in the back. My lunch was packed and so was my bag. I really wanted to know what Persephone was going to tell me about this place. We got out of the car, walking into the school building tiled with marble flooring, waiting for the time to pass.

As the periods passed, fourth period finally came around. I walked with my lunch behind my back to the gender neutral bathroom. It was empty, besides Persephone of course. She was in the mirror looking at her self. She was startled when I came in, I even saw a small bit of blush on her face. I noticed her voice had gotten a bit deeper. A lot bit deep in my standers I guess. She almost sounded like Rani but with a much higher pitch.

"Hey." Persephone waved, a small wave of blush spreading to her cheeks and nose.

I waved in confusion, leaning against the closed door. I took out my granola bar, then took a bite out of it. "So, what is it you wanted to tell me Seph?" I said, hearing the sound of a teachers heals clacking on the floor.

"Listen..I-I kinda lied about the school thing this morning. What I wanted to tell you was much less important. I wouldn't be surprised if you walked out on me mid sentence." She said quietly, fidgeting with her fingers a bit.

"The thing is, I think I like you? I don't know! I-I'm totally straight, so no homo right? GOD WHAT AM I SAYING?! I'm sorry for wasting your time..I'm sorry. It's just that—" I interrupted her by choking on the granola bar wrapper in suprise.

I then choked on my granola bar, holding onto the bathroom wall as I coughed. "I didn't know you-" I hacked one more time. "You felt that way about me, Persephone. Honesty, you're pretty nice. Your makeup, the way you did your make up, your so smart and kind and—Nevermind." I chuckled adding a small sigh.

Persephone sighed with relief. "So..do you wanna like date? It won't be for a while—WAIT I'm not saying that I don't want to be with you I just.."

Persephone was a few inches shorter than me. I looked down at Persephone and kissed her, I was taller than her by about five or six inches. Her eyes opened widened, then slowly closing as I kissed her longer. I broke away and took a short breather. It felt colder than it was a second ago before we kissed. I ignored it as Persephone's eyes caught my vision. She looked around at the stalls, checking if anyone was there once again.

"Y-you're a good kisser. I was caught off gaurd." Persephone said quietly, sticking some hair behind her ear.

I hugged my stomach, looking at her. A blush streaming across my face as well as hers. I felt like banging my head against the wall and letting myself bleed out since I honestly haven't kissed anybody, well seriously in that case. She was wonderful, sweet, short, smart, and knew a lot about us from the short time she's spent with the three of it. I leaned my head against the wall, forcing myself to not literally slam my head into it. I looked down at the ground, back up her, then said

"Thanks. It's my first." I smile at her, unfolding my arms and putting them behind my back into almost a stretching motion.

The two of us looked into the small mirror above the sink, realizing what just happened. We then began to laugh, Persephone talked about how she was too shy and such about something not that serious to her. She asked for a small piece of my chocolate granola bar, I broke off a piece and handed it to her. She smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

"Thanks." She swallowed. "Did you know Belle Delphine got arrested because of a hamster? Well, I knew that." Persephone asked me.

"She did? Oh wow." I chuckled, continuing to eat my bar of delicious crunch. "I heard she got her hamster back, that sounds like

"So. Wanna go to lunch? We have 32 minutes to spare." Persephone spoke. A small sniffle coming out of her. She looked like she had cheered up from the pep talk I gave her.

"Yeah, my lunch is getting cold." I chuckled, walking out of the bathroom.

She chatted about how dramatic she was when she was talking about how she almost cried before she got my reaction. Persephone didn't seem to mind about talking about this kind of stuff. She knew she was dramatic at times, so she wasn't bothered by it. We ran into one of the teachers. It was Mr. Danielme, the math teacher. God he was annoying, he wore flannel 4/5 days of the week. One of the days he did and wear it he would wear one of his cheesy teacher meme shirts that said shit like, "Don't want me to teach while you talk? Then don't come to class" with a knock off emoji. I still "laughed" at his jokes however, that was just to up my grade and such. But, outside of school he was pretty nice to my friend group.

"Sorry! I had to help her with some stuff. A-advice." I chuckled

"Hopefully it was about my class. You both have a few minutes left for lunch, you should get going." He said, the clipboard in his hands lifting to his waist. The both of us nodded at him and waved off, Mr. Danielme. The two of us walked into the lunchroom. Persephone then began to start eating the lunch she brought from home. Rani and Adrian were talking more and more about the files while the two of us listened to their crazy conspiracy theories.

"Look what I got." Rani said, dangling a pair of keys on her lanyard. She told us she found it in the janitors closet. Why was she in there anyway? I didn't think much of it, brushing it off as just a thing that Sadie convinced her to do or something. 

"Ooh! Where do they go to?" I asked excitedly, looking up at the server that brought us all out lunch, well everyone besides Persephone. I grabbed my plate, fork, water, and fortune cookie. The food was regular steak and mashed potatoes, but I just wanted to find out what this small piece of paper could do to my future. One only dreams to know their life to a simple delicious Chinese cookie.

"Honestly, I dunno. I just snuck them off of the door knob inside and ran out of there. A student or two saw me, but I gave them some gum to not tell a teacher to give me a detention." Rani responded, inspecting the key. "Room..450. Wonder where that is. The room count in this school only goes to 200." Rani added on, a confused expression molding into her face. 

As we chatted about where this room was or if it was typo, the time counted down. Then, it was time to leave. The four of us said our goodbyes and we walked to our separate lockers. I cracked open the locker, then the cookie. I ate the cookie part first as any normal human would do then I grabbed the paper. 

'You can't have everything...where would you put it?'

I chuckled, placing the piece of paper in my pocket. I grabbed the rest of my things for the day and headed off to my Math class with Mr. Flan-Man-Dan Himself, Mr. Danielme. What a weird last name.