XV: palace: محل

please comment and vote 🖤

"Ouch"

He owed best friend the punch on his other side of his jaw. He clenched his jaw, rubbing it.

"LALA!" Ayla tried to hold her brother but he held his hand up.

"DON'T AYLA!"

He warned her storming past them. Asfandyar leaned against the opposite side of the SUV. It wasn't so much the idea of them being married. All of them knew Zachary and Ayla were going to end up together someday. It was the way news reached him. All of a sudden it seemed as the failure of himself as a brother again. That, Ayla, hid something so big from him. he could understand Ayla, but Zach... he was there with him all along. His fricking best friend.

"I got this. This is between friends. You stay with her."

Rabail was leaving to find her husband, but Zach stopped her. He went around the SUV. His best friend was sitting on the rock, sullen and brooding, watching the mountain beyond the fog.

"If you wanted alone and romantic time with me, all you had to do was say it and I would've come running with all hugs and kisses." He tried to joke to cut the thick tension between them, but his jaw winced when he tried to smile.

"Get the fuck away from me, before I bust your jaw again," Asfandyar muttered. Zach sighed sitting on the rock a foot away from him.

He was perplexed about how to put it together in words for him. His best friend was hurt, he knew more so on the fact that they hid everything from him.

"I'm sorry." He stared at his boots, crunching the broken rocks with them. "It happened so fast. I couldn't contact you, but I fucking love her to death and when she asked me to marry her. I did so without asking why."

"When?"

"When she turned eighteen."

"What the... holy hell. That long and you didn't even bother to tell me."

"I couldn't. This was between her and me. I made promises to her, but I swear Asfandyar, Allah is my witness. I have been faithful to her each and every second of these eleven years, waiting for her, honoring her words."

Asfandyar knew his friend's words were as true as the heart beating in his chest. He himself was a first-hand witness to how recklessly in love he was with Ayla.

"Being married to her..." Zach swallowed, searching for words to put his feelings correctly in. "It was the most miraculous and incredible decision of my life, but she pushed me away the next day of it. So till now it just felt like a figment of my imagination. It wasn't until she came here that we both were confronted with the truth of it. None of us really accepted it until I came here demanding her for answers and were faced with dilemmas. She's still scared to accept it."