Chpt 1: Rubber Boy

As the bandit, Higuma, threatened Shanks, a cry and a loud thump interrupts the man, as everyone's attention goes to the boy sitting next to the pirate. Luffy had fallen to the ground, curled up and shaking violently.

"Ah-ah!" He tried screaming, but it was becoming more and more intense. His head was pounding, disorientating his vision severely. Pain coursed through his body, every inch agonizing and unbearable.

"Luffy!" Shanks paid no heed to the lowly bandit, worried for the boy. He got up from his seat, rushing over to him. He noticed the bitten fruit, the devil fruit that gave the powers of rubber. But, he has never seen such a reaction from eating one of the forbidden fruits. Hell, he would have been a bit gobsmacked that the idiot ate it, but Luffy's current condition was of more concern. He gently propped the boy on his lap, checking on his vitals. His heart rate was unnaturally fast and he was perspiring too much. Feeling Luffy's forehead with the back of his hand, he gasped. It was a high fever, one that could kill.

Before he could say anything else, the bandit that had been so bluntly ignored grabs Shank's shoulder, sneering in anger. "Don't fucking ignore me."

Fiery set in Shanks, his attention still on Luffy. This man was getting on his nerves, blabbering away, trying to stop him from helping Luffy. Beckman was already at his side, pointing his flint rifle at Higuma. "Now, now, don't bother our captain and friend." He struck the idiotic bandit with the tip of the rifle, effectively knocking him out. The other members had either fled that moment or were held down by the pirates to keep them from trying to help their leader.

"Ado! Luffy needs treatment asap!" The red haired pirate called out desperately.

The doctor of their ship hurried over, already having some medicine on hand in a briefcase, opening it and bringing out a few supplies. Ado kneeled down, concentration etching his eyebrows. "This isn't good..."

Several days had passed before Ado was able to get Luffy to stable conditions, tending the little boy carefully. He was perplexed to what had caused Luffy to fall ill. There wasn't a single record of someone having side effects from eating a devil's fruit. Nonetheless like the symptoms Luffy's shown.

Shanks sat down, finally able to see him. He had been kicked out of the guest bedroom Makino let them use. Ado was adamant and strict on his order that absolutely no one were allowed entry to the room while he treated Luffy, or else he would have their heads on a platter by dinnertime.

Sighing, he took off his hat, placing it on the side table and looked almost pleadingly at Luffy, leaning on the bed, "C'mon, little anchor."

He hadn't realized when they had landed at this tiny little island in such a remote area in the East Sea would he find a precious someone in the form a child with a knack of getting in trouble and being utterly reckless. He had even grown fond of Luffy and his antics, to the point of staying at Foosha Village for an entire year. Well, sort of since there was also Makino... but that's a different topic for another day. And now that same energetic boy was lying in bed, pale and appearing lifeless. Closing his eyes, he prayed for some miracle to happen, maybe to some god that may or may not exist.

His attention was alerted when he felt a stir in the blankets.

A soft groan passed through as Luffy moved sluggishly. He could sense someone near him. But it was warm and very familiar. Opening his eyes slowly, he blearily looked at the one figure, trying to make out who it was. His head was still throbbing and ached, but it was much duller compared to before. He rubbed an eye to clear his vision, not sure if he was staring at who he was actually looking at, or if it was just his imagination. Because he swore that it was Shanks. But, that shouldn't be possible as he had went back to the North Blue a day ago.