Intro

Who would kiss a masked stranger without a care to the consequences? Sierra, a 17-year-old heiress who only thinks about herself. That is, until Kein turns her life upside down. Unmoved by her status, he shows her the world exists beyond her sheltered life. So begins the unlikely romance between a socialite and a shadow.

Updates: Weekly, on Saturdays

Author's Note
I am thankful that God gave me the ability to write. Thanks also go to my parents for refusing to let me give up. And to Christopher, who shows me every day that true love and romance aren't just fiction.

Excerpt
He leaned away from her hand, his blue eyes wary. "What are you doing?"

"I'm not going to hurt you."

"Right," he said sarcastically, "'cause you're not the kind of girl who does that."

His words stabbed at her suddenly-vulnerable emotions. Sierra pulled her hand back, her eyes growing dark.

Kein watched her as she shivered and drew her arms into the trench coat. He sighed, "Here," and held out his hand. She eyed him and then placed her hand in his. He slowly brought her hand toward his face. Kein hesitated slightly and then pressed her fingers to his cheek. Their breathing caught, so that the only sound was the rippling of the water in the wind. She carefully drew her fingertips over his scars; they were cold and mottled, twisting in ridged patterns down his neck.

It was only skin.

Their eyes locked and, for the first time, they saw something in each other-a glimmer of recognition that maybe they weren't so different after all.

©Renee Carter, author of the published novels His Eyes and Under the Lens.