Chapter 1

Chapter 1 

"Sierra, couldn't your mom hire at least one hot waiter?" 

A dark-haired girl fixed her striking eyes upon her blonde friend. She shook her head; how was she supposed to ever know what her mother was thinking? Her slender fingers closed around a shot of tequila on the tray of a server who was burning from embarrassment under his brightly colored mask. Realizing the girl who had just taken the drink was underage, he opened his mouth to protest. Sierra moved her head sharply, daring him to speak, and the waiter darted away to disappear among the guests.  

Seeing her power affirmed, the heiress flashed a perfect smile before downing the contents of the glass. She smacked her lips against the bitter flavor and tossed the empty shot over the yacht's rail. Flicking her hair idly, she resumed surveying the deck for prey. 

"Honestly, how can you drink that stuff?" Her friend wrapped her mouth around the rim of a strawberry daiquiri.  

"How can you not?" Sierra lazily tapped a manicured fingernail against one of the paper lanterns that hung from the ceiling.  

Following instructions, most of the waiters were careful to avoid the teenagers and serve the other guests until they were happily buzzed. The waiters wore tie-dyed shirts and gaudy, sequined masks. Despite being dressed for a Caribbean carnival, they couldn't keep goose bumps from rising on their arms when the night air blew across the deck. The waiters kept their trays held tight and their grimaces concealed while they maneuvered between guests. 

"Autumn, do you see any prospects?" 

A redheaded girl sighed, bored to be seventeen and stuck on a boat with so many middle-aged adults. "There's not much hope with this crew." 

"Hmm..." Sierra lifted her eyes to scan the far end of the deck. Her gaze locked onto a server who appeared to be close to her age. She hadn't seen him before. Where had he been hiding? He had thick black hair and, from behind his mask, she saw his blue eyes catch the light. "Ah." 

While the huntress strode forward, the blonde strained to see. "What's she found?" 

Autumn shook her head. "I don't think she's going to make it." 

The quarry, oblivious to the fact that he was being tracked, had just served the last margarita from his tray and was walking toward the Employees Only door that led to the kitchen. The huntress quickened her pace and she was a breath behind him when he swung open the door. She slipped in with him, the first click of her heel on the hallway's metal floor causing him to spin around. 

"Hello," she whispered seductively and stepped close to him. His eyes widened and his tray clattered loudly as it fell. 

Her lips--gentle, soft, urging--pressed against his. He tensed at the touch, unprepared. But he reacted quickly, like he always did, always had to, and his lips gave back equally as they received. The boy felt her lip gloss smear onto his skin and he tasted the bitter flavor of alcohol. So, this was why she'd kissed him. He stepped back from her so subtly that Sierra thought she had moved. 

She smiled, deciding that she couldn't have made a better choice. Reaching out coyly to wipe the gloss from his lips, she breathed, "Dare I ask where you learned to kiss that good?" 

He dodged her hand and rubbed his mouth on the back of his arm. When he caught her frowning at the rejection, he smirked. "I picked it up." His first kiss. Because of the mask. Because of what the mask hid. But lies came easier than the truth. "You're too young to be drinking." 

Sierra enjoyed the rough sound of his voice and she laughed loudly at his comment; who was he to tell her what to do? Now that she was close, she let her eyes wander over his body. He looked strong and about her height; she guessed he played soccer at one of the public schools. "And you're so old?"