Chapter Seventeen [Tête-à-tête]

Tête-à-tête

Voices echoed against the brick wall of the alley. The crunching of snow beneath feet caused my body to tense. I had been so absorbed in Adrienne that I had forgotten the Southside would be returning soon. After the events of today, it wouldn't be smart to still be around when they returned.

Adrienne's head turned in the direction I was looking and her hands gripped my shirt. "What's wrong?" she questioned a hint of worry in her voice.

"Nothing, but I think it's time we go." I took her hand and lead her down the nearest alley.

We walked for a bit in silence with our arms swinging between us. For this time of day, the city was quiet. The snow had brought a peaceful calm over Chicago. The snow plows sped down the street tossing snow out of their paths onto the sidewalk.

"Do you want to go to my place?" she asked, glancing at me.

The last time I was at her house, I had almost died and got my heart broken. I would love to replace those memories with something more positive. "Yes, I'd like that a lot." A warm smile spread across my face.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of her bright smile. She swung our hands higher and even after what Cayden had done to her, she had a bounce in her step.

Once we arrived at her apartment, she tugged me up the stairs in a frenzy of excitement. I stumbled after her with a laugh that was cut off when I saw Antho and Joe perched on the railing. My eyes narrowed.

Joe noticed me. "White boy. Good to see you back," he said as his voice dripped with sarcasm.

My body stiffened as I watched Joe. "Good to be back."

Adrienne gave them a glare. "Guys, be nice."

Antho rolled his eyes at her, and let out a booming laugh. "We are just giving a hard time, little one." His dark eyes latched onto mine. "Aren't we, Spencer?"

I nodded my head. Adrienne grabbed onto my arm and leaned against me, trying to bring down off my ledge. Her presence allowed a wave of calmness to wash over me.

"I'm good, baby girl. Thank you," I whispered in an effort to comfort her.

The door to her apartment swung open in one abrupt motion, causing us to jump. Her uncle appeared in the door with a look of surprise on his face as he assessed us.

His eyes immediately focused on Adrienne's bruises. "What happened to you?"

Adrienne let go of my arm and stepped over by him. "Hey uncle Jeff. It's nothing I just got into a fight. You should see the other girl." She let out a nervous laugh before looking over to me. "This is Spencer."

I swallowed a lump in my throat. My hands went cold. I was standing in front of the chief of police. It was different than the first day in Mrs. West's class. Now, I knew who he was. He was the one who had escaped the Southside. He was the source of Cayden's anger.

I extended my hand to him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

His large hand swallowed mine with a firm grip. He released my hand and took a step back. Antho and Joe mumbled a snide comment causing Jeff to look at them.

"You two don't have anything better to do right now?"

My eyes cut to them. I suppressed laughter. Karma is a bitch. They took turns glaring at me before they rose to their feet and headed inside their apartment.

Jeff's brown eyes assessed me again before he turned his attention to Adrienne. "I really wish you would stay out of trouble."

"I know. I'm sorry," she replied.