Chapter Six [Decisions]

Over the next few weeks, my relationship with Adrienne grew more complicated. We texted occasionally, and I would walk her home from school when I had time. My dedication to the gang was my number one priority. After my success at getting Cayden his money from Summerfest, he had been giving me high-risk jobs. I had also gained respect from the lieutenants in the gang.

During my walks with Adrienne, I tried to get her to tell me why she had bought heroin at Summerfest. She never gave me an answer. She didn't seem like an addict, but everyone has a closet of skeletons.

There had been no success at getting her into my bed, either. She had a way of cutting off the conversation before it got sexual. She was a tease. I was growing frustrated, but I had a new plan.

I stood on the steps of the school with my hands stuffed into my pockets. Earlier, I'd delivered a shipment of amphetamines to Churro over in the west side of town, and got paid big. Cayden had praised me before sending me on my way. It was strange to show up to school after skipping the whole afternoon, but I wanted to take Adrienne to my house.

The bell rang. My eyes scanned the crowds of people pouring from the school, but I was only searching for one familiar face.

Then, I found her.

She stepped out of the door and rambled away to Jena, who was walking beside her. The words seemed to be pouring out of her mouth in a constant stream. My eyes roamed further down, focusing on the sway of her hips as she descended down the stairs towards me. My heart beat faster in my chest as I thought about her hips would feel against mine. Her movements were so fluid and effortless. My throat became dry.

Two things crossed my mind: First, I was starting to get nervous. I didn't like how she made me feel. When I was with her, my emotions were unleashed from their cage. I was too comfortable in her presence. Second, I couldn't get too attached. It was too dangerous for both of us. I wanted this thing between us to be only sexual.

She waved to Jena as they parted ways and came to a stop in front of me. My smile dropped from my face, and a vacant look replaced it. Her blue eyes glistened in the sunlight as she looked up at me. Then, she said it.

"Hey, Spence."

I stared at her. Only people close to me called me Spence. For some reason, those two simple words coming from her mouth made my heart jump and took my breath away at the same time. I had to control myself.

"Hey."

She raised an eyebrow at my short response before she shrugged her shoulders. "So, are you going to walk me home, or are we just going to stand out here and stare at each other?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "Actually, I was thinking we could switch it up today."

She tilted her head in curiosity, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Explain."

I smiled as I slung my arm around her shoulder, pulling her against me. "I want to bring you to my house," I whispered in her ear.

She placed one of her arms around my waist, shifting her backpack to the opposite shoulder so she could stay close to me. I led her down the steps, and we stopped at the crosswalk.

"I'm invited to the gangster's house? I feel honored," she responded with a teasing smile.

"You should, baby girl."

At this time of day, the city was bustling. Rush hour traffic forced cars to come to a screeching halt. Frustrated drivers laid on their horns. People pooled around us, many of them deciding to skip the hour-long wait in traffic and walk home. I reached to click the cross walk's button and glanced down at her. I was quiet for a minute longer before I blurted out a stupid question. It completely contradicted my plan to distance myself from her.