Chapter 4

"I'm not really sure about this, Liz!" I yelled over the music that was so loud it was making my heart hammer wildly in my chest.

We were at a swanky club a couple blocks away from my apartment. It was were we ended up after eenie meenie miney moe-ing four clubs Liz had Googled.

Well, she did the eenie meenie miney moe-ing while I tried in vain to change her mind. 

I still wasn't convinced a girls' night out would teach me anything about dating. Especially in a place full of sweaty, gyrating bodies - most of which were drunk. 

I wouldn't find any inspiration here even if I search every nook and cranny. Maybe if I was writing erotica...

Liz abruptly spun around I almost collided with her. "What are you worried about? You look hot!" 

I scowled at her then looked down on the little black dress I was wearing. 

'Hot' wasn't exactly the word that came to my mind when I stared at my reflection in my life-size mirror an hour ago. More like 'skanky.'

If I ended up being hit on by drunk pervy men, I'd blame Liz. 

I was already wearing a cute pink dress I bought in a thrift store and ready to go when she showed up at my doorstep. She surveyed me from head to toe, dragged me back to my room, and stripped me to my underwear - all the while muttering about clueless writers and old-fashioned librarians (I still wasn't sure what has one got to do with the other).

I was so caught off guard I just stood there, gaping at her. The next thing I knew she had pulled a skimpy dress I hadn't known I have from my wardrobe and practically put it on me.

And before it could register in my brain, I was already being dragged out of my apartment and shoved into her car. I was manhandled, basically.

By the time we hit the road, I was questioning my choices in friends.

I was pulled back to the present when Liz grabbed my arm and gestured toward an empty table in the center of the room. We pushed our way there, narrowly avoiding a stumbling group of what seemed to be drunk teenagers. I doubted they were legal.

A few minutes later, I was sipping on my Pina Colada and Liz was helping herself with a Bloody Mary.

"What now?" I asked, leaning over so she could hear me.

She winced and covered her ear. "Ouch. Don't yell!" 

Ooops! That came a little louder than I intended.

"Sorry," I smiled sheepishly, then let my gaze wander across the club, my eyes landing on the dance floor where a mass of sweaty and gyrating bodies were dancing to some hip hop song. Or was it RnB? I couldn't be sure. They sounded the same to me.

"Check out the bar, Sam."

"What about it?" I asked absently, sipping on my Pina Colada. 

Mmmm. I didn't know alcoholic drinks could taste this good.

"See that blond guy in leather jacket?"

"Uh-huh." I gave the bar a fleeting, uninterested glance. 

"Get over there and take the spot next to him before someone else does."

I blinked at her. Now she had my attention. "Why would I do that? I'm already comfortable here."

Liz wiggled her brows, a wicked smile forming on her lips. "Because tonight, you're going to learn an important step in dating - striking up a conversation with the opposite sex."

"Excuse me?" I almost choked on my drink. 

Liz rolled her eyes. "We both know you heard what I said. Now get your cute little ass over there before some bimbo snatches our target."

"No."

"Yes."

"Liz---"

"Go!" she snapped, causing me to jump to my feet.

Liz chukled.

I glared. 

Her overbearing behavior was starting to get into my nerves. Unfortunately though, once Liz put her foot down, going against her would be futile.