Chapter 3

The following morning I woke up to Dollar licking my arm. I let out a big yawn, my eyes still half-closed. Smiling lazily, I pulled her closer. "Morning, baby girl. Did you have a good night sleep?"

She responded by licking my cheek.

I half-groaned, half-laughed. "Dollar, don't be gross. But yes, me too." 

I sat up and stretched my arms, then glanced at the digital alarm clock on my bedside table. 

9:30 am. Hmmm. Too early for my usual twelve o'clock wake-up time.

But then, no surprise there. I hadn't done any writing last night that would have had otherwise kept me awake until the wee hours. I had a feeling that until I got the dating thing figured out, I wouldn't be able to get back on my sleeping habit anytime soon. 

Maybe if I ask Jenko to speed up on the research?

No, I couldn't do that. He had already gone out of his way when he agreed to help. That should be enough. 

Anyway, what's a few days of waiting?

Putting on my fluffy slippers, I reached for the comb and scrunchie beside the alarm clock. My phone beeped at the same moment I pulled my shoulder-length, chestnut brown hair back into a bun. Whoever sent a text must have sensed that I was already awake.

Oh, it was from Liz.

How's the date and get laid plan coming along?

I shook my head. She was really serious about that? I typed in my response:

Good morning to you too. About that - Jenko has already agreed to teach me everything I needed to know about dating. So, there. Problem solved. :)

Tucking my cell into my pajama pocket, I neatly folded my blanket and placed it on top of my pillows, then picked up my dog. "C'mon, girl. Let's get some breakfast."

Stifling a yawn, I padded into the kitchen and set Dollar down to pour some doggy biscuits into her bowl. Like a perpetually hungry little pooch that she is, she munched on the treats in an instant. 

I was already helping myself with coffee when the alert on my phone sounded again.

It was still Liz. But this time, she was calling.

"You asked Jenko to help you? Really?" Leave it to Liz to not bother with a "hello."

Sipping on my coffee, I chuckled, "Hello to you, too."

"Whatever. Just answer the question."

"Well," I started to say just as Leon's groggy voice came in the background, "Who are you talking to?"

I frowned. "Are you guys still in bed?"

"No one," I heard Liz say to Leon, ignoring my question. There was a burst of giggles, then followed by a swatting sound. "Stop it! I'm talking to Sam!"

"Uh, Liz? Why don't you just call me later?" I sure didn't want to listen to my best friends fool around with each other.

But neither seemed to pay attention to me. There were more giggling and swatting sounds, and other muffled noises that I had no business hearing.

This phone call was supposed to be G-rated. But it was dangerously starting to sound R-18.

Gross.

Where's a therapy when you needed one?

Since I am not by any means a voyeur, I decided to end the call. Knowing Liz, she'd call again after doing her, uh, business with Leon. 

I cringed at the mental image that thought conjured up. Best friends and sex - two things I never wanted to think about in the same breath. Ever.