Chapter 5: A Friendly Distraction (Part 2)

Chapter 5 

   "Hello," I heard a vague voice bringing me out of unconsciousness. 

   "Layla. You have to wake up now." It said sweetly.

   "Five more minutes, mommy." I yawned, nestling the cozy, strawberry-smelling cover closer towards my cheeks.

   The familiar voice laughed. Strange, mommy didn't laugh like that . . .

   And suddenly, I straightened my spine and gasped, "I'm sorry." I apologized rapidly. My head instantly feeling woozy from moving too fast.

   "It's okay, numbnuts." Alice laughed. Numbnuts?

   "What did you call me?" I furrowed my eyebrows, bringing a hand to my head to make the room stop spinning.

   "Numbnuts," She clarified. 

   "Um . . ." I wasn't sure to either laugh or be offended.

   "Don't take it to the heart I call everyone that. Anyway, since you slept through the movie,"

   "I'm so sorry!" I apologized, interrupting her.

   "Jeez, it's okay," She rolled her eyes. "What I was trying to say is, would you like something to eat?" 

   "Oh, yes please." I flushed while my stomach silently growled. 

   "To the kitchen we go darlin'." She said in a serious british accent. 

   "To the kitchen." I replied in an attempt of a british voice.

   We walked down the stairs while giggling. 

   "Good. But you're going to have to keep on practicing."

   "I'll keep that in mind."

   Her home really was breath-taking. If I was still a small child I would've loved to play hide-and-seek here with my dad. 

   If only he was still here . . .

   I sighed, "Don't worry, we're almost there." Alice laughed.

   "Oh." I said suprised. I felt a bit bad for making Alice think I was getting frustrated. Oh well, it's not like I can tell her the real reason why I seemed upset.

   After a few minutes of walking through various hallways we stopped in front of a pair of metal doors.

   "You have an elevator?" My mouth going slack.

   "Yes," She gently placed her fingertips at the bottom of my chin. "And you should close that before a fly goes in." She giggled.

   My ears burned as her hand released her contact on my skin. She pressed a silver button next to the door and as soon as she pressed it it automatically opened. It was a spacious, round room with beige carpet and several types of mirrors covering the walls.

   We casually walked inside and the door softly closed making a distant 'clink' sound. 

   "When did I go to sleep?" I asked curiously as the elevator went downwards smoothly.

   "About a few minutes after you thanked me." She said matter-of-factly.

   "Oh," I blushed at the memory. "Thanks for letting me take a nap. I sort of needed it today." 

   "You know you snore." She smirked.

   "No I don't." I said defiantly. I don't snore, do I?