Chapter Fourteen: Just One More

Allyson's P.O.V

“What do you mean?” Robbie and Callista say.

“I mean him.” I say, pointing towards the man sitting slumped against the wall.

“Everyone come towards us. Stay away from that thing!” Callista says, motioning for all the prisoners to come over.

The -living- people shuffle over to us but one child stays where he is, rooted with fear to the floor.

“Jamie come over here.” A woman -probably his mother- says, holding out her hand.

“Your mother’s right, come here.” I say as he begins to walk closer to the Z

“Stay where you are!” Callista says.

The boy tentatively extends his hand and brushes the Z’s face with the tips of his fingers. I tense up, waiting for the Z to suddenly rear up, but nothing happens.

“What?” Robbie says, confused

A/N If you’re easily grossed out, stop here, I’ll say when you can continue reading.

What happens next I find hard to comprehend. One minute the little boy is standing there -his right arm extended- and the next he’s screaming his head off, blood gushing out of the stump where his hand used to be.

“Oh my god!” The boy’s mother exclaims, lunging over to her boy, “Jamie!!!”

I elbow the distraught woman away and draw my pistol. Without even bothering to take aim, I shoot the Z in the head. The corpse slumps down and I walk over to it, still holding the gun in my hand.

“Jamie? Oh Jamie!” the woman says, embracing her son.

“Stay away from him!” Robbie shouts, but he’s too late.

The child’s eyes glisten a sickly black colour as he bites his mother on the shoulder, she screams in pain and surprise as a chunk of flesh parts from her body. I raise my gun.

“Allyson! Don’t do it!” Callista says.

I stare at her, “He’s gone and so is she, you know what happens when you’re bitten!”

Callista looks like she’s going to protest but then nods her head.

I shoot the creature that used to be an innocent little boy in the forehead. His mother’s mouth takes on the shape of an ‘O’ as the corpse crumples to the ground.

“I’m so sorry.” I whisper, walking over to her and placing the pistol against her temple, “But I can’t have any more deaths.

Before anyone can stop me I pull the trigger and the wall behind the woman is painted with a spray of blood. The prisoners gather around me, shocked.

A/N Okay, you can open your eyes now

“Allyson why would you do that!?!?” Robbie exclaims, “We could’ve saved her!”

“Robbie you may act like an idiot sometimes but you know as well as I do that she was good as gone. I did her a fucking favour!”

Robbie shuts his mouth and I can see that he agrees with me, even if he doesn’t want to.

I glare around the room, “Now, you may be shocked at that latest display, but that’s my life. This is what I do. If you don’t like it then you can go back down that hallway and fend for yourself, if not, then you’re all going to follow me though this doorway that I just found and we’re going to escape. After that, you can all go back to where you came from and Robbie and I are continuing on our way to San Francisco. Am I understood?” Everyone -even Robbie- nods. I smile, “Good, now follow me.”