Chapter Fourteen; Defeat.

Alice's POV

I fought as hard as I could, but falling unconscious was inevitable. Julia and I hadn't said a word to each other all day. I felt guilty for flinching every single time she even moved a muscle, but I can't stop picturing her turning on me, helping Voldemort out.

My eyelids grow heavy from a long, silent day of waiting around - a past-time I've yet to get used to, despite it occupying my time the past six months. I try to pinch myself to refrain from falling asleep, but it's no use. Slowly and surely, my eyes roll back in my head and I'm drifting off, far away from Azkaban.

The constant sound of water hitting the cave floor fades away and the chilly, damp air heats up progressively.

I open my eyes, slightly disoriented. But it doesn't take long for me to recognize my surroundings. A pang of sadness takes over my insides as I stare around at the place I used to call home.

Hogwarts.

The Dining Hall is completely deserted, which is incredibly rare. I'm used to seeing the large room full of bustle. Banners representing the several different houses stare at me, it's as if they're welcoming me back.

I take a step, waiting for this all to vanish at any moment. Confused, I glance around the room. Am I dreaming? This is the first time I've had my own thoughts and actions in a dream. I'm fully aware of myself, which isn't the case in most of my dreams/hallucinations.

My vision returns to Dining Hall's ceiling, which is displaying the night's sky. It makes the room appear as if it didn't end. I have the strong urge to summon my broom and fly away, as if that would allow me to escape my troubles.

A soft 'snap' sound echoes throughout the quiet Dining Hall, grasping my attention immediately.

My eyes land on an unfortunately familiar figure. His back is to me as he obviously adjusts to the scenery of which he'll continue to torture me.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I let out a scream, gripping on to the end of Slytherin's table for support. I can feel the physical toll that my body has taken. I'm not sure how much longer I can take of these hallucinations.

My fate will be exactly the same as the people Julia were telling me of.

The figure snaps around greeting me with his serpent-like features. A disturbing smile takes place on his face, spreading fear to tremor through my body like a virus.

"Hello Alice,"  He sneers, causing me to suppress a shiver.

It's as if the iciness from his insides has spread like wildfire throughout the room. The warm, welcoming air of Hogwarts has left and it starts to feel more and more like Azkaban.

Voldemort takes a step forward - odd for him to do, he usually waits for his opponent to make the first move - and on instinct, I do the same. His smile starts to slowly fade, in a terrifying manner. I do my best to hide my fear and block my mind.

Snape would be proud.

"So have you learned your lesson yet, young, foolish Alice?" Voldemort speaks to me as if I were a child; one of my biggest pet peeves. I ball up my fist, clenching my jaw tightly.

"I learned my lesson a long time ago when I realize what a mistake I was making joining you," I snap at him, unable to hold my tongue. I pull back the sleeve of my old student robe, revealing the dark tattoo that has been haunting me the past several months.