Chapter Five: Departures.

Aaron's POV

I woke up with a very clammy feeling all over. I sit up, my back cracking as I do so. The bright light streaming in from the window forced me to look around with my eyes squinted.

On the floor, in a sleeping bag next to me, was Jake, still sound asleep. He looks exceptionally exhausted. His usually trim brown hair has turned into a shaggy mess, stuck to his head. This damn summer heat...

"Aaron, are you awake?" I hear someone hiss. I realize that the light was not coming from the window, but instead was shining out the end of a wand. I shield my eyes with my arm.

"I am now," I croak out, my voice just proving how crappy I feel.

"Sorry," The person whispers and the light from their wand dims to a dull light. It illuminates the face of Hermione, her hair all unkempt and all over the place. She scurries into the living room, where Jake and I have been shoved into, to sleep.

" 'S'okay," I mumble, rubbing my eyes and getting out of the sleeping bag that has turned itself into a make-shift oven.

I get up, my knees cracking in addition now. I take a seat at the end of the couch, where Hermione sat herself not two seconds ago.

The tension between us has been high lately. I made sure she was asleep when I went out to get Jake, and she was still asleep when I came back. She still doesn't want to believe that we're leaving today. It's as if she is in denial. Whenever Molly Weasley would bring it up, she would pretend not to be listening.

Now I watch her as she picks at the sleeve of her thick robe, nervously. Gently as possible, I place my hand on top of hers and give it a squeeze. She looks up from her hands, and into my eyes. I take notice of her bottom lip starting to quiver, as if she were fighting off tears.

" 'Mione," I whisper, wrapping my arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug. "Everything is going to be alright," I assure her, rubbing her back, in comfort.

"But what if it's not? I can't lose you and Ron... You're two of my best friends." She says, her voice starting to falter. I can tell that she's practiced these words many times over in her head, promising herself that she won't cry. That's something she would do.

I didn't like the idea of leaving Hermione. We've became so close this year. It's strange to think that this time last year, she was just a girl in my sister's year, that was friends with the Chosen One. I didn't know her at all. But now, she's my best friend. I... I love her, even though I haven't had the guts to say it to her face.

"Don't think like that." I shake my head, taking her cheeks in my hands. I take a deep breath, "She's my baby sister, I have to protect her. It's my job," I try to explain, for the millionth time, to her.

"You don't think I don't know that?" She speaks, raising her voice slightly. But, she shrinks down when we hear Jake stirring from his sleeping bag, letting out a soft snore. "But, it's Azkaban. It's nearly impossible for anyone to escape. Not only will you all die, but you could be putting Alice in even further danger." She tries to rationalize with me.

"I've thought of all the consequences, I really have." I nod, mentioning the thing that Hermione is always trying to drill in my head. 'Think of the consequences, Aaron'. She said it about everything. School, pranks, outbursts. I can't help but to let out a small smile. "This is the one thing I'm willing to risk it all for. I haven't been there for my sister her entire life. Now it's time for me to redeem myself. I need this. I need to prove to her that I'm not some dead-beat brother that doesn't care." I explain, my throat starting to tighten up.

When You're Strange: Never Forget {Harry Potter}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें