chapter two

ONE YEAR EARLIER

Harry watched the scenery roll past his window. Ever since the holidays something had changed, Ron's squabbles with Hermione used to be halarious but he was sick of them constantly being on the verge of another fight, and he used to think Hermione knowing everything was cool and helpfull but she never shut up about her shallow knowledge.

Ginny and him shared a look and he smiled for the first time since he had arrived back in the magical world.
She was a great friend and they got along so well, he would miss her is he left the loght for the dark.
Wait, where did that come from. He wasnt just going to abandon his life because of one bad day.
Harry told himslef to pull his head in and stop being so dramatic.

"Look Hermione, if you can't accept the fact that for once you dont know better than me yo-"

"Ron shut up" Harry was surprised he hadn't said it first.

"Why should I listen to you?"

"Because you are both getting so worked up that I am about to jump out the fucking window, please stop arguing"

"Ginny don't be a bitch" Hermione snarled.

"Hermione what has gotten into you!?" Harry took his, and Ginny's stuff off the racks. "Ginny did nothing wrong, you were being absolutely intolerable"

The sorting ceremony was usually something Harry enjoyed; the first years with wonder in their eyes finding their place at Hogwarts had a nostalgic feel. But not this year.
Harry found himself ignoring all of the festivities to watch Malfoy and his thugs. It was halarious.
Malfoy looked just as bored as Harry felt and he was instructing Crabbe and Goyle to throw bits of balled up paper at different people.
They all seemed to be enjoying themselves and Harry wondered what life mught have been like if he hadnt rejected Malfoy on their first day, Harry decided that, while he may have enjoyed it more today he wasn't becoming like Malfoy and his henchmen, he was just having a bad day.

Harry turned to Ginny who was glowering at Hermione and Ron.
"Malfoy is going to throw something at us soon" he whispered.

Ginny glanced at the blonde just in time for his lackeys to lob their paper balls at their general direction.
The two screwed up papers landed at Harry and Ginny's feet.
Ginny scooped them up and lobbed them back, hitting Crabbe and then Goyle in the face.
"You know the old proverb, dont fuck with Ginny" Harry snickered.

Ginny smirked.
Finally Dumbedore seemed to be saying something interesting;
"This year, we are hosting the first Triwizard tournament in decades! Durmstrang and Beaubatonx will be staying here for most of the school year. To enter you must be 17 or older to enter the tournament. To enter place a slip of paper into  this goblet" from behind the headmaster a giant goblet rose, fire in it's bowl. "With your name on it, and you might just be the compeditor for Hogwarts!"

The school errupted into discussion and Dumbledore brought the food to their plates and sat down.

Harry dawdled on the way to the common room. He didnt want to see Ron for any longer than he had to and so he turned, decidedly, towards the great outdoors. Ron had already expressed his excitement for the tournament, Victor Krum went to Durmstrang and the ginger was practically drooling at the thought of seeing the young Quidditch player.

Harry got outside and was surprised to see Malfoy leant against the brick, smoking.
"That shit gives you cancer dumbass"

"Best case scenario, and it cant, I forgot you live in the muggle world Potter, here we have this nice thing called magic, it stops the smoke from going into your lungs, but not the nicitine"

"Handy, got any spare?"

"Dont tell me that the perfect golden boy smokes?" Draco taunted but handed a cigarette to Harry.

Harry lit it with his wand and rolled his eyes.
"Careful there Malfoy, I think I have got more dirt on you than you will ever have on me"

"Oh yeah? What might that be?"

Harry took a step forward so him and Malfoy were about thirty centimeters apart.
He put the cigarette to his mouth and drew a breath in.
"Well, you want so desperatley to be a Death Eater but you are still scared shitless of Voldey, and amongst countless other things, you Draco Malfoy are gay, maybe bi, but you have a thing for Zabini but your mummy and daddy want you to have an heir and so imagine just how fuck-"

"Alright Potter, my turn. You hate the light, I saw it at the feast, you were longing to be on our side of the hall. What else... you are a bit gay too-"

"So you admit it"

"I'm not done Potter, you hate your best friends you could be with them right now, but instead you are out here smoking with the enemy."

"I'm just having a bad day"

"I'm having a bad life, I tried to go fond the Dark Lord in the holidays, my parents are tratiors to the cause. I was going to find him and ressurect him, to his former glory"

"Maybe its not Zabini you have a crush on"

"Potter, everyone already hates me, but if I was to relay the fact that rather than scold me for wanting to ressurect the Dark Lord you made a gay joke, you would be fucked"

"So?"

"I- you- forget it"