Chapter 10 - This is Halloween

Anthony’s POV

“GAME BANG!!” Mari and Joven shouted ending the video, Ian switched off the camera while Lasercorn whispered something in Nikki’s ear her eyes widened and she swivelled around reacting to what he had said. Her attention was suddenly focused on the doorframe, and there stood Wes wearing a Batman mask holding a black rose. The gang suddenly went quiet as they all watched on keenly, myself included.

“Nikki, a few little birds told me you were planning on going as Harley Quinn for the Smosh Halloween ‘office’ party this year… and well – I- really enjoyed spending time with you yesterday and” What the heck did they do together yesterday?! “I-I guess what I’m trying to say is; willyoubetheHarleyQuinntomyBatman?” His words were barely distinguishable from each other he spoke so fast and jumbled as he held out the black rose to her, his eyes squinted closed in fear of her reaction, Mari let out an ‘AWWWW~’ and the others joined in, causing Wes to blush… making them ‘AWWW~’ even more. Nikki paused, thinking about it for a moment, and I could have sworn her eyes flickered to me at one point ‘what on Earth could she be thinking??’

“Sure, why not” She eventually said and reached out taking the rose from his no-doubt clammy hand. And I was left mulling over her choice of words she had said ‘Sure, why not?’ instead of ‘I’d love to’ or ‘of course I will’ … she wasn’t overly enthusiastic about this! That’s got to be a good sign! Maybe I’ve still got a chance! ‘A chance at what’ my hind-brain piped up ‘Shut up! It’s a chance at… something and that’s all that matters… kind of… at least I hope.’ Then it got me thinking… Harley Quinn and Batman aren’t right together… they’re on two opposing sides of justice, how stupid can a nerd be?? Ok Wes isn’t stupid, he’s crazy smart but I mean come on! And that thought lead me to my genius plan for getting Nikki back… ‘you never had her to begin with! How can you get her back?’  Ok to get Nikki.

I’ll become the man Harley Quinn undoubtedly belongs with.

Nikki’s POV

The next day went by so fast and by the time I knew it, Wes was at my front door dressed in a full on, ill-fitting Batman suit asking me if I was ready to go. He didn’t even comment on my costume, which if I do say so myself was very cool. It’s a little sexier than I’d normally feel comfortable wearing but hey, its America and it’s Halloween, so whatever. But I was still a little disheartened by the fact that he didn’t mention it… he just seemed in a hurry to get there. So I grabbed by stuff and got in the car. We sat in silence for like 10 minutes, he kept fidgeting and looking at his hair in the rear-view mirror. This process repeated a few times until:

“Wes, is something wrong?” I eventually asked.
“What no, why would you ask that??” He quickly dismissed, but I saw right through it.
“Don’t deflect, what’s up? You suck at lying.” I pressed.
“Ok” He paused breathing in deeply, clearly nervous “I’ve got to be honest with you… the only reason I asked you out was because I’m trying to make someone else jealous.” He admitted and I let the information sink in, and surprisingly instead of shock or hurt, I felt relieved.
“Well that makes sense.” I nodded, and when Wes asked what I meant I continued “We only hung out once as friends and then all of a sudden you’re roses and batman masks. And if I’m honest with you, I only really saw you as a friend, though you do look hot with your new haircut.” I reached over and tousled his hair as we pulled in to the venue, laughing – him blushing slightly.