Chapter 12 - English Breakfast Flavoured Kisses

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

The insistent noise JUST. WOULDN'T. STOP! I'd been listening to it for... I don't even know how long it'd had been such a long time... but when shrouded in darkness, not knowing where each day ends and begins, you lose track of the passage of time. I couldn't open my eyes. I couldn't move my body. It was scary at first, scary is not the right word... it was terrifying being trapped in the blackness of the world around you which was once so vibrant and light and wonderful. Now it was void, and silent... apart from the beeping... the ceaseless sound that never left me alone.

It had been so long since I heard someone's voice that when I finally recognised the vocals of a loved one, it soothed me. But I couldn't understand what they were saying.
"あれは誰" I thought.... (Who is that?) Is that ... I know that voice... I could understand that voice once... a lot time ago it seemed. But why can't I understand anymore?

"Wake up! Nikki please!!"
'彼が何を言っているのですか' (What is he saying?) '待って私の名前... 私の名前はニッキーです...それは私の名前です' (Wait! My name... my name is Nikki... that's my name!!!)

I opened my eyes and came face to face with him. I remembered everything. Who I was. Where I was... The glass... my throat... the kiss.... My face flushed with heat.

"Wake up from a coma and the first thing you do is blush" He chuckled....
"何" I titled my head. What was he trying to say to me? Why can't I understand?!
"... Nikki?" He whispered it softly... '私の名前' and I smiled. "You're okay! I'm so glad!" He swooped me into a crushing hug and I winced... still having my injuries it seems.
"Say something please?" He begged me, his mouth muffled into my shoulder.
"なぜ私はあなたを理解できないのですか" (Why can't I understand you?) He laughed into my skin, shoulders semi exposed by the paper thin hospital gown I was wearing.
"Still got a sense of humour, trying to confuse me with your Japanese. C'mon Nikki, please, say something in English" I didn't know what he was saying but he sounded more desperate now than before.

"ごめんなさい... 本当にごめんなさい... わかりません。" (I'm sorry... I'm so so sorry... I can't understand you.) Tears began to flood into my eyes then suddenly Mari came crashing into the room. Anthony realised I was crying, and became frantic, he held me at arm's length and started rambling something to Mari.

"Mari! Mari something's wrong. I tried to speak to her but she doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying and she keeps responding in Japanese."
"Woah.... Umm... well first off, give her some space, she's been asleep for 4 days so she'll need some air." Whatever she said, Anthony released me and sat on the other end of the hospital bed, cowering in the corner like a cross between a scolded child and puppy. "Okay now I'll try speaking to her, to see if she understands Japanese"

"ニッキビーちゃん聞いていますか" Mari asked tentatively
(Nikki? B-chan? Can you hear me?)
"マリちゃんうーん私は最終的に理解します" I all but shouted in excitement
(Mari-chan! I finally understand someone!)
"あなたはアンソニーに冗談を再生していませんか" She put her hand on my shoulder
(Are you playing a joke on Anthony?)
"まさか私はそのようなアンソニーを傷つけることはありませんでしょう"
(There's no way/impossible! ** literal translation loses something, hehe sorry** I'd never do something like that to hurt Anthony)

"じゃあ-" Mari started to speak again but I interrupted
"なぜ私はアンソニーを理解することができませんかなぜ私は彼にはない、あなたを理解していますか私の体や心が壊れていますか"
(Why can't I understand Anthony? Why can I talk to you and not him? **Again this next bit loses something in translation** Is my mind or body broken??)
"お願い落ち着け。これが起こった理由私は知りません。しかし、私はそれは大丈夫であろうと確信しています。" Mari hugged me tight as she spoke
(Calm down, please. I don't know why this has happened but I'm sure it'll be alright)

Just then a doctor I didn't recognise walked into the room with a smile on his face after seeing me awake. He tried to speak to me but, yet again I couldn't understand. Then Mari explained as best she could what was happening. After learning the news he paused and reflected for a moment, he then said something and left. I was more confused than when he entered and I started to hyperventilate drastically. Anthony rushed over and took my hand and kissed it. He opened his mouth and then remembered I wouldn't understand. So he asked Mari to translate.

"I am here." Mari spoke for him. "I am here for you, and if you have to learn English again, or if I have to learn Japanese then so be it. Because I am never going to let you leave my side again. I... I have something I want to say but I want you to understand me... and for me to say it with my own voice. Please wait a moment."

He then gestured for Mari to lean closer, and he whispered something in her ear. Her eyed widened and she smirked and chuckled a bit but then whispered back in his ear.

"Nikki... " Anthony spoke, I recognised my name and looked at him... cautiously... what was he going to say??

"ニッキを愛し" He whispered. And MY eyes widened and I blushed a very very dark red.
"えっ本当に本当に本当?"
"Really really." And I knew he had answered my question and I knew what his reply was.

He started to lean in closer to me... I closed my eyes, and then suddenly the doctor came in. And Anthony and I leapt apart. The doctor smiled apologetically and walked closer, with a cup of tea in hand. And told Mari, who told me to drink it. I took the drink and then looked at it sceptically. Then took a sip. It was delicious so I drank even more. I had missed tea so much, and it was the perfect temperature so I drank the entire mug within a few seconds. I felt amazing.

"You'd be amazed at the medicinial power of a cup of tea" Mari translated what the doctor said to me. And I thanked him, then turned to Anthony. And kissed him. In front of Mari and the Doctor, I didn't care, I just had to kiss him. Behind me I heard them chuckle, but I was too absorbed in the feel of Anthony's lips.

I pulled away from him and laughed, and gently touched our foreheads together. I could still feel his breathe on my lips, and I sighed with relief.

"I love you too, by the way." I spoke, and then Anthony's eyes opened wider than I've ever seen them

"NIKKI! NIKKI! Oh my god! I understood you!!"
"What?! I understood you too!!"

We froze and just stared at each other for a moment.

3rd Person POV

The Doctor laughed and turned to leave the room, and Mari called out to him
"How on earth did you know that a cup of tea would fix her?!"
"If I'm honest I didn't. I just thought she'd need a drink after sleeping for so long. But shhhh, we'll keep this our little secret, shall we?" And he left Mari standing there laughing at the power of a placebo.

All the while Anthony and Nikki were absorbed in English Breakfast flavoured kisses.

************************************

Thank you everyone for reading and for commenting your support! 

I'm sorry this chapter took so long, I've been kept very busy with my IRL world at the moment and my online presence has suffered for it, but thank you so very much みんな!! 

This is the end! 
さよなら!