Back To The Future

London, England

Alphard Black paced agitatedly up and down the long, narrow hallways of Grimmauld Place. He could sometimes be heard muttering to himself; other times he simply stared at the floor with an expression that could cut steel. Clutched in his hand was a copy of the Daily Prophet. The headline announced: Hogwarts Reopens; Headmaster Confirms School " Is No Longer Under Threat".

"For Merlin's sake, Alphard, what are you doing?" Irma Black screeched when she came out of the kitchen to find her middle son glaring at the newspaper angrily.

"Nothing, Mum," Alphard replied, doing his best to control his expression. "I'm just waiting for Alyssa and Dylan."

Irma's expression softened; it was no secret that she wanted Alphard to marry the pureblooded Alyssa. Even though the elder MacDougals hadn't been in Slytherin, their beliefs echoed those of the Blacks. However, what Irma didn't know was that both her son and the two younger MacDougals were blood traitors.

"Well, invite them over for supper, won't you?" she asked brusquely before leaving him alone.

Alphard immediately breathed a sigh of relief. Hopefully his family would keep out of the way while he spoke with Dylan and Alyssa; he had called them over as soon as he had seen the newspaper that morning.

There was a loud whoosh from the fireplace and he immediately raced into the drawing-room. Dylan was climbing out of the fireplace, brushing the soot from his clothes. "Alphard," he said, inclining his head towards the boy.

"Hey, Dylan. Is Lyssa still coming?"

As if in answer, the fireplace gave another whoosh and Alyssa appeared in the flames this time. She had to grab on to Alphard's arm to steady herself as she nearly tripped on the carpet. His skin gave a pleasant tingle where she had touched him.

"So what did you want to see us for?" Alyssa asked.

Alphard cast a Silencing Charm on the door before answering. "This," he said, holding out the newspaper.

The twins glanced at it. "I know, I read about the reopening earlier today," Dylan said. "The Hogwarts Express leaves tomorrow, right? We're already starting to pack our stuff."

"It's a shame we only got a two-month vacation, but what could be so important that you'd want to speak to us about it today?" Alyssa asked. "Whatever Tom let loose in the school got caught, and that's the end of it."

Alphard shook his head vigorously. "I don't care about Hogwarts reopening," he said. "I care about what happened to Clara, and where she and Tom are now. What are they going to make of this?"

Alyssa's eyes hardened. After they'd received Clara's letter informing them she'd abruptly left, she hadn't been very popular with any of them, especially Alyssa. After all, it had taken them two entire days to be rescued. Alyssa had been all for revealing Clara's "mission" to find Tom Riddle in the Daily Prophet, but their letter had been returned several days later. In fact, the newspaper hadn't even mentioned two missing Hogwarts students. Alphard suspected Dippet was trying to keep everything as hushed up as possible. At any rate, it was lucky for Clara that the newspaper hadn't published anything.

"I'm sure she's fine, wherever she is," said Dylan. "It was Albania she was going to, right?"

Alyssa nodded. "She's probably caught up with Tom by now." With a smirk, she added "Perhaps they've found the diadem and cured Tom of his illness! Then they'll come back to school tomorrow and live happily ever after."

Alphard shot her a warning look. "Don't be rude, Lyssa. I still feel guilty we almost sold everything we knew to the Daily Prophet."

"Why should we?" Alyssa said hotly. "She abandoned us, and Dylan and I weren't allowed to leave the house for a week once we'd gotten home! We were all ready to go to Albania with her—"