Flooding

The dreams had started again.

She was in a strange house, being held by an old woman who was trembling in fear and panic. "Patrick, where are you?" the woman asked nervously. She shifted Danielle to her other arm and stroked her hair. "Patrick?" she called again, her voice high-pitched. "Where are—"

There was a loud crash and the door swung open, slamming loudly against the wall. Danielle began to cry, burying her face into the woman's shoulder.

"Stay where you are!" a harsh male voice commanded. There was a flash of light and the woman screamed. "Leave us alone!" she shrieked.

"Don't speak until you're spoken to, you filthy Muggle!" the man ordered. There was a bang and the woman yelled again. Danielle cried harder. "Get the baby to shut up, Selwyn," he muttered. Suddenly, her howls stopped. She tried as hard as she could to scream, but no sound came out.

"What do you want from us?" the woman asked, her voice shaking as she retreated into the back corner, keeping a firm grip on Danielle. "Where's Patrick?"

There was a short laugh. "Your husband is still alive, don't worry. He won't be for much longer, however. If you give us the correct information you might be allowed to see him one last time."

"I have no information!" the woman screeched, ignoring Danielle's violent struggles to escape. "You have the wrong people!"

"Where did you get the baby from, then?" the first man demanded. "Why is it magical but you aren't?"

"She's my granddaughter," the woman sobbed, slumping to the floor. Danielle turned her head and caught a glimpse of two black-robed men advancing upon them. "Please—her parents sent her here, to Paris—"

"What is your name?" Selwyn asked.

"Matilda," she said breathlessly. "Matilda Richardson."

"Not your married name," the first man hissed. "Your birth name."

But she was silent and refused to answer.

"Look, Yaxley, a stubborn Muggle," Selwyn said mockingly. "Just like mules, they are—Crucio!"

There was a flash of red light and the woman was on the floor, screaming. Danielle fell out of her arms, silent tears running down her face. She got clumsily to her feet and tried to run, but Yaxley flicked his wand lazily and she went flying back into the wall. "Stupid baby," he muttered.

"Your birth name!" Selwyn was yelling at the woman. He lifted his wand and Matilda slumped onto the ground, tears streaming down her face. "Or would you like this done the hard way? Believe me, there's more where that came from!"

"It was Stubbs," she choked out, lifting her head from the floor. "Matilda Stubbs."

The two men exchanged a glance. "It's her," Yaxley muttered. "Go bring the other Muggle in and we'll finish here quickly."

Selwyn nodded and left. Yaxley kept his wand trained on Matilda, who didn't seem about to move anytime soon. She was crying hysterically. "Elizabeth," she sobbed. "Oh, Lizzie, I'm sorry. I tried to keep her safe!"

"What is the baby's name?" Yaxley asked menacingly. "You better tell me the truth, or you know what will happen."

"Danielle Elizabeth Bailey," Matilda sobbed. "I promised to keep her safe. Don't hurt her, please!"

"Your daughter is Elizabeth Bailey and your son-in-law is Robert Bailey. They are still in England, correct?"

Matilda nodded.