Chapter 30

James sat in the coffee shop waiting for Phillip to arrive. After minutes of convincing Ali that he was just going talk to him calmly, she finally gave him his number. James texted Phillip and asked him to meet him at that coffee shop. James took a sip of his coffee and he finally saw Phillip enter.

Phillip easily spotted James and walked over. He just sat down and crossed his large arms across his chest. "What's this about man?" he asked.

"Look, I just wanted to apologize...for snapping at you. I know how it can be easy to fall for someone like Ali. And I am grateful that you stopped the whole thing before it got too far. That shows how much you respect her and our relationship. Just wanted to apologize and say thanks, I guess." James normally never apologized to other people so he felt weird.

"I just want you to understand that for someone like her, she needs to be in a relationship where she can show off how happy she is...and by the looks of it, she is truly happy with you. I'm not so sure she was dealing well with hiding the relationship back in San Francisco. But now that you're here, that will change right?''

"Yeah it will. I decided to move here and since her family is back in San Francisco, we won't have a problem being out in public."

"Well good because I think that's what she needs. She needs you." Phillip sighed and unfolded his arms.

James nodded. "Well that's all I really wanted to say. You can always come around to see Ali. I know she would like to see you again; you've become a good friend to her and hopefully you and I can be cool." James got up and extended his hand.

"For sure." Phillip responded simply and shook his hand.

When James arrived back to the apartment, Ali was by herself. Kate had left with Seth somewhere. He entered and saw Ali in the kitchen; her back facing him. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist; planting a kiss to the back of her neck. "Hey"

Ali smiled. Whenever James kissed her neck, it gave her a tingle. "Hi. How do it go with Phillip? You didn't beat him up did you?" Ali turned around to face him.

James chuckled. ''No baby. I just apologized for basically acting like a dick. I also thanked him for being a good friend to you and for respecting you the way you deserve."

"You apologized?" Ali put on a sarcastic face like she was shocked.

James laughed again. "Yeah I know, shocking...but he deserved it. I told him he could come by anytime to see you."

"Aww thanks baby." she pecked his lips and then turned back around to finish the food she was making.

"Mmm, what are you making?" James nibbled on her ear.

"Lasagna." Ali answered and giggled.

"My favorite." he smiled and lifted her shirt up slightly.

"Yeah and I will never finish if you don't stop distracting me." she slapped his arms playfully.

"Alright alright." James frowned and let her go. "I'm going to go see if I can find the manager around here and see if there's an apartment close to this one. I'll be back." Ali nodded and kissed him one last time before he left.

Ali had just put the lasagna in the oven when her phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey sis, it's me." Veronica said on the other line.

"Roni...is eveything ok?" Ali thought it was weird that her sister was calling.

"Yeah everything is fine. I just wanted to talk. I miss you already you know."

"I miss you too sis. I really do." Ali said truthfully. She was used to her sister's voice and sarcastic remarks. She really did miss her.

"Guess what?" Veronica pulled Ali out of her thoughts.

"What?"

"I went for registration at school this morning and everyone was talking about Mr. Hetfield. He quit his job.''

Ali bit her lip. "Oh, really?" she acted as if she had no idea.

"Yeah..I wonder why. Word out is that he's leaving San Francisco too." Veronica cleared her throat.

"How do you know that?" Ali asked and bit her lip again.

"I guess he told Mr. Ulrich? I'm not sure. I wonder where he's moving though." Veronica choked out as she felt a lump in her throat.

"Veronica...are you crying?" Ali furrowed her eyebrows. She could have sworn she heard her sniffle.

"No! Why would I be crying? You're imagining things. Listen, I gotta go. I'll talk to you another time. Bye." Veronica quickly hung up the phone and buried her face into her pillow. She began to sob.

Ali pulled the phone away from her ear and looked at it with a confused look. She knew that Veronica was lying. Ali could always tell when Veronica was crying. She started to think if anything was wrong back at home. She would have to talk to her mom soon.

"Hey I'm back." James walked in and smiled. "We're in luck. The manager told me the apartment next door is available. I talked to my buddy Cliff and he's going to help me get my stuff shipped here from San Francisco." he explained as he sat down next to Ali. He noticed that Ali was distracted. "Babe, did you hear me?" He placed his hand on top of hers.

"Huh? Oh yeah babe...I heard you."

"What's the matter?"

"I just got off the phone with Veronica."

"And? Is everything ok over there?" James asked concerned.

"Yeah. She just umm told me that there's word around school that you quit."

"Oh..forreal?"

"Yeah, and that you're moving out of SF too. Did you tell Mr. Ulrich that?" Ali asked turning to look at him.

"Yeah I did but I don't think it's a big deal. I didn't tell him where so there's no need to worry and-''

"It's not that. I'm not worried about that. It's just that I could have sworn that Veronica was crying while she told me everything."

"Crying? Why would she be crying?" James chuckled as if it was such an impossible thing.

"That's what I don't know. What if there's something wrong at home and she doesn't want to tell me? What if-"

"Babe calm down. Why don't you call your mom and ask her?" James rubbed Ali's thigh trying to calm her down.

"You're right. I'll call her soon. Besides, if it was something bad, she would have called me instead of mom. I'm sure everything is ok." Ali smiled but she was still skeptical as to why Veronica was reacting that way. She didn't know if she would ask her mom, dad or Jonathan or just ask Veronica straight up. Either way, she needed to find out what was up.