Chapter 16

Sabin matched his stride with Luke's as they paced together.

With one day left before the deadline, they had been told that it was an impossible task to rescue Jobyna from Elliad. Guarded every minute of the day and night, the area of the castle where she was being held was crawling with guards on duty.

It had been Luke's idea to have Ruskin, with five other loyal knights, pretend to support Elliad. A little truth would go long way in making Elliad believe their story.

Sir Dorai elaborated on the idea and Ruskin was pleased to be able to serve Luke and Frencolia in this way.

The charade was dangerous, but they were sure Elliad would fall for it. A drawing of the seal was sacrificed to substantiate their story.

Luke felt much happier to know Ruskin was present in the castle, even though grossly outnumbered by the enemy. He prayed for Ruskin to gain support and help from others in the castle, but it was obvious the plan was treacherous for all concerned.

The knights agreed that the mandate had to be delivered when the deadline was up in the morning.

Luke tossed and turned sleeplessly, remembering his sister's more carefree days.

He recalled her words to him, quoted first by their mother.

Jobyna had said, as they rode for the last time from their home in Chanoine, 'If we die, we live. And if we live, we will die one day and then live. There is nothing to lose.'

Luke believed his loss would be unbearable if she were to die. She is all I have left of my closest family, his mind lamented.

~~~~~

The sun rose on a rain-soaked Kings Castle, causing the stone battlements to shine black as though polished.

Jobyna strolled alone, back and forth on the battlement walk, watched by four soldiers. The hood of the cloak covered her hair. Her cough bothered her and she felt tired. A bad feeling about this new day niggled at her mind, and she tried to dismiss it as her own silly anxiety. Lifting her eyes to the sun, rising over the cliff-tops, she tried to think of something, anything, other than this captivity. 

There was movement from the soldiers as the guard was changed. Jobyna edged near the parapet as one of the soldiers going off duty marched her way. She did not want to hinder his movement at all.

The soldier deliberately jostled her and she almost fell. He caught her hand, saying, "Get out of my way, girl!" A piece of folded paper pressed into her palm.

Jobyna leaned on the great ledge of the parapet between the stone battlements and carefully opened the note. She listened for footsteps and lifted the bottom of the note so the sun would catch the writing and make it easier to read. There was a tiny drawing of the seal in the corner and Jobyna's heart began to race.

"Don't be afraid; you have friends in the castle. A rescue is planned. Be prepared. Luke is safe. God be with you. K.F. Destroy this paper."

Jobyna ran her eyes over the words again. Could she believe it?

A voice behind her made her jump with fright. In her moments of intense concentration, John had crept up on her. "What has the little sparrow got?—a piece of bread?" With one arm, John pinned her arms to her sides and with the other he reached around, twisting her arm, sliding his hand to her wrist, forcing her fingers open to pluck the crumpled note from her palm. He held her tightly whilst he read it.

"Where did you get it?" John turned her to face him and with his hand on her throat pushed her back against the hard stone wall.

"So it's true, Luke is safe. There are people in this castle who do care about Frencolia!" Jobyna gasped these words out as John's fingers dug deeply into her throat beneath her jawbone.