Chapter 1

Luke and Jobyna looked around the cave in astonishment.

Using the flint kit in his pouch, Luke lit two wall-lamps and moved around to light others.

Jobyna breathed a deep sigh of relief as yellow light crept its way to the dark corners of the cavern. They could now see what was in the cave. The sight caused their eyes to widen with amazement.

Lifting one of the wall-lamps from its holder, Luke stepped towards the back of the cave. In the darkest corner, chests, one upon the other were stacked up higher than he would be able to reach. Chests like these lined the long rock walls of the cave.

Passing the lamp to Jobyna, he cast his eyes toward a row of large chests sitting in a row on the floor not far from him.

Stepping to one, he wandered his hands over the jewels on the lid. They were ice-cold to his touch.

Jobyna's breath thundered in his ears as he attempted to lift the lid. To his relief, it opened with little more than a mouse-size squeak.

"It's full of coins, jewels..." His words were lost in Jobyna's blood-curdling scream.

Luke spun around, his hand pulling the dagger from the sheath at his waist. Drawing himself upright, he prepared to attack.

"There's... someone... behind... that... chest, over there," Jobyna stammered.

Luke tried to focus his eyes on the dark form. The great opening to the treasure cave was still shut. He narrowed his eyes in the dimness. He could just make it out —someone, or something, sitting, leaning, not moving.

"Come out! Now, if you're man enough!" Luke shouted. Jobyna crouched behind the chests. The form didn't move. Luke waited. "Hand me the lamp, Jo," he urged, motioning with his left hand, not taking his gaze off their 'enemy'.

Jobyna inched forward and put the lamp into Luke's outstretched hand. His breath came faster as he swung the flame in front of him. The figure behind the chests didn't stir. It seemed to be slumped over at a strange angle. Luke took a step closer. Still no movement from the 'thing'. Luke took another step forward.

He could now make out the form. It had the appearance of a man with his head resting on one arm. Luke thought, Maybe he's sick.

He called, "Hey, you! Who are you?" There was no answer. Luke waited. His gut feeling told him this was something bizarre.

Jobyna crept along behind Luke who took another unsteady step towards the inert shape.

He was only a few feet away and could feel his heart pounding behind his ribs. With the lamp raised above his head, Luke could see it was a human frame, a man.

"Be careful Luke, maybe it's a trick! Look at his clothes!" Jobyna hissed.

Luke took a deep breath, mustered up all the courage he could and placed one foot up on a clear place of the lid. Leaping up, he kicked the shoulder of the man with his other boot. "He's got to be..." Luke said as the body fell backward, "dead!" In great relief, he sheathed his dagger.

Jobyna gasped as the 'face' grimaced at them. The eyes were closed; the mouth gaped open, revealing a distended tongue surrounded by shrunken gums and missing teeth. Dread agony engraved the dry leathery face, the skin opaque across the cheekbones. The forehead was wrinkled in deepest worry.

"Why, he's been dead for months, he's dried out!" Luke exclaimed as he held the flame close to the face. The skin had the look of parchment left out in the sun too long—it would disintegrate at the lightest touch.

Jobyna's legs grew weak and she sank slowly to the ground. This was an extra nightmare, adding to the many they had experienced over the past days.