25

"That won't stop them!" Bilbo exclaimed halfway through Bard and Gandalf's conversation. Both males turned to look down at him with a look of surprise. Ylva stood behind him with her hands holding the blanket around herself. For the most part she looked rather achieved at finding the hobbit. "You think the dwarves will surrender? They will fight to the death for their home." Bilbo said surely while looking between the two.

"Bilbo Baggins," Gandalf said at last while looking down as the hobbit flashed him a grin.

"I think your words aren't going unheard," Ylva whispered from behind him. She smiled sadly though, looking up as Gandalf gestured a hand to them both, she watched as he walked away from her, yet she trotted after him.

"If I'm not mistaken this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons under the noses of my guards." Thranduil said while walking past Bilbo and seating himself down. He sent Ylva a sharp eyed look though when she let out a laugh which was disguised as a cough.

"Sorry," she whispered. She did find it quite amusing though. "You've got secret skills, Bilbo." She whispered yet even these words were heard and the look which was sent her way was deepened.

"Ylva, please." Gandalf sighed to one side. She looked to him and then lowered her head. Since walking back into the tent, she had as yet to leave Bilbo's side. He didn't seem to particularly mind though, there was a strange sense of confidence which came from someone standing by his side while he was about to have this conversation.

"Sorry about that," Bilbo said awkwardly, at last replying to Thranduil's words. He kicked his feet and looked to the ground while Thranduil reclined slightly in his chair and looked to him with a slightly disbelieving look. Though Thranduil seemed to have very little reaction to Bilbo's words, Gandalf and Bard couldn't help but slightly smirk. "I came to give you this," Bilbo shifted forwards away from Ylva's side and moved towards the table. Reaching inside his shirt, he pulled out a small cloth covered object. With care, he placed it down on the table and started to unwrap it. Eventually through the layers of cloth being removed, the glowing brightness shone out.

"The Heart of the Mountain," Thranduil said breathlessly. He couldn't believe what he was looking at as he stood slowly. "The King's Jewel." He continued on quietly, from the side Gandalf had shifted as well as he moved forwards to get a better look at the glowing stone.

"And worth a King's ransom." Bard stood from his seat and walked towards the table too. "How is this yours to give?" Bard looked down at Bilbo, he had been watching all three males take interest in the Arkenstone, Ylva for the most part had stayed indifferent and staying in her original standing position.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure." Bilbo explained while placing his hands by his side and looking up at Bard as he spoke.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Bard continued his questioning with a serious firm look and frown.

"I'm not doing it for you." Bilbo said with a small shake of his head. "I know dwarves can be obstinate, and pigheaded, difficult, suspicious and secretive, with the worst manners you can possibly imagine. But they're also brave, kind, and loyal to a fault." Bilbo said while briefly glancing at Gandalf, who smiled softly. In the end he looked to the floor as his voice dipped quietly. "I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them, if I can." Bilbo said honestly while looking back up at Bard and Thranduil. "Now Thorin values this stone above all else." He swiftly pointed at the glowing jewel on the table. "In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you are owed." He said with a small nod while looking around the tent and its occupants. "There will be no need for war." He said in a pressing tone.

Gandalf looked slowly over to the other two standing opposite to him. Bard for one seemed to understand where Bilbo was coming from. He let out a slow sigh and looked up at Thranduil by his side. He was the only one who remained passive and unmoved by Bilbo's words. It was there that the conversation seemed to end. Placing a hand on Ylva's shoulder and the other on Bilbo's, Gandalf gently nudged them out of the tent. "Rest up tonight, you must leave on the 'morrow." He said with a sigh.