17

It was of no reassurance to awake to howling and barking. Needless to say Ylva sat bolt upright and looked around with wide eyes, looking to the side her eyes narrowed slowly. She was on her own, which begged the question of: where was Beorn? Where was he, and where was that howling coming from? It wasn't alien to her. She recognised the howling, it was the same howls which had many a times haunted the outside of her cage. With a distinctive shudder, she pushed the covers off of herself and clambered out of the bed.

Even though the warmer weather was slowly creeping up, the night was still cool and chilly. Wrapping her arms around herself, she rubbed her hands up and down her arms. The long sleeves of her top did little to keep the cold out from nipping at her skin. As she walked past, she plucked a spare throw off of the end of the bed and pushed open the bedroom door. Peeking around the door frame, she looked over the sleeping animals, the quiet crackling of the dying fire. The embers of which were spluttering over what little wood still remained in the hearth.

Snapping her head towards the front door, she started forwards; it was open slightly, the glowing moonlight shone through the small crack and as she pushed the door open, she was quickly bathed in it. Shutting her eyes and shuddering again at the cold air she looked forwards, the small path which led to the front door was void of life. Earlier on in the day the geese had been pottering about enjoying the sudden large space they had found themselves in. Stepping forwards, her bare feet crunched quietly against the gravel and fallen leaves which littered her way.

Readjusting the grip she had on the throw around her shoulders, she looked around, she had reached the end of the path and all that was before her was the wide meadow and beyond that was the darken space of the woodland. She could figure out just from standing still and silent that the howls were dying off. The distance between where she was and where ever they were was growing. The only problem was she couldn't exactly figure out was whether the noises came from the woodland a little ways of her, or the woodland behind the house.

Shaking her head, she double took and realised that there was a shadow moving in the meadow. Creeping slowly, guardedly, gaining ground in large steps. There was a low growl, and a short snort which could resemble a sigh before she figured she didn't need to be so on edge. Clearly upon noticing she was up, the bear charged forwards. Ylva winced slightly, there was nothing about Beorn which frightened her, but having a large dark furred bear charging full pelt towards her was ever so slightly disconcerting.

Yet, she smiled when he drew close and changed forms. "Please tell me you have not been fighting." She said jokingly while wagging a finger up at him. Her jokey disposition slipped though when he simply looked down at her. "What is it?"

"Nothing," reaching out he placed a hand on her shoulder and turned her back towards the house.

"Liar," Ylva frowned and crossed her arms. Looking up at him, she sighed, shaking her head sadly she looked up at the night sky which was brightly illuminated by the moon and shining stars before looking back at him. "I heard them, you know?" This seemed to temporarily halt Beorn, his stride faltered as he looked down at her. "I heard them, and I couldn't find you so I came out here. There's no need to try and hurry to get me inside, I'll freely go as soon as you tell me what's happened and that you're not involved."

Looking at her earnest expression, Beorn nodded slowly and relented. "There's a patrol, a small group of perhaps six, seven riders. They never drew close, but I went out to check." He paused to see her nod, Ylva reached out and pushed the door open and shut it after him. Lifting the wooden bolt up, she smiled lightly at him when he helped her to lock and bar the door.

"Where were they heading?"

With a frown, he turned away and moved past the sleeping animals. Noticing the dying fire, he walked closer to it while pulling a chair close. Sitting down he looked back to her, she was shadowed in the bottom end of the room, he was dimly visible thanks to the struggling flames. Ylva moved forwards and ended up kneeling down beside him.