Chapter 2- Can You Scream for Ice Cream?

(2) Can You Scream for Ice Cream?

"Libby?!"

I gritted my teeth as I smiled, forcing out a polite, "Hello, Iris."

 Iris' sugary smile made my eyes burn. I flinched as her voice went up an octave as she said sweetly, "Still haven't got the maturity to call me 'Mom', I'm guessing?"

I couldn't help but snort. "It's not immaturity that's keeping me back from calling you 'mom'."

Iris rolled her eyes and turned back to the man in front of her. She muttered, "Whatever, I am so not letting this little brat ruin my first date in weeks."

I narrowed my eyes at that and stepped even closer to the table. Twirling my engagement ring around my finger, I said, "So where'd you get this guy, Iris? The junk yard? Local dumpster boy?"

I looked at the boy who, up close, looked at the greatest twenty. "Are you by any chance desperate beyond compare, or getting paid big bucks to date this bitch?"

I smirked at Iris, who was stuttering and gaping like a stupid ass fish, and smiled sweetly as I fluttered my fingers. "Bye, Mom!"

As I was walking away, I smiled smugly. "Oh, she is so not invited to my wedding."

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

"Are you okay? You've been really quiet ever since you met Iris at the Scream Cream.." Russell said, worry written all over his face.

I tried to smile brightly, but failed. I ended up sighing and raking a hand through my hair as I replied, "I'm not okay."

Russell sighed, bringing me into his arms as we kept walking. "Leaving is hard, but remember what she did to you, sweetheart."

I stayed silent, knowing  my voice would tremble if I used it. Russell, understanding my silence, didn't push me, just held my hand tightly and guided me through the gates of Kayford.

Back on school grounds, I forced myself to fake smiles at people that knew us and waved, and glared at Sally Parshire and Cindy Klick. They glared right back, sticking their noses up as they passed us. But not before I caught Sally winking at Russell. I stiffened immediately, and Russell rubbed my back, probably feeling my muscles tense.

"Relax, they aren't of any interest to me." he murmured into my ear, getting me to ease up a little.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes tiredly. "There's Audreys everywhere."

Russell chuckled. "Tell me about it."

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

"Don't you dare, Sean."

He grinned and dropped my icecream in the trash anyway. I scowled manacingly. "You did not just do that to my triple scoop cookies and creme, chocolate, and peanut butter ripple with sprinkles."

Sean laughed and ruffled my hair. "You're so cute, my little Ogre."

My eyebrows rose high above my hairline. "What did you just call me?!"

"Ogre, Ogre!" he sang, dancing around me like a lunatic.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him out of the way. "You owe me some icrecream, bucko!" I called behind my shoulder, just to have him point at me and yell, "Ogre!"

Laughing, I went down the hallway. I tried to surpress my suspicion and jealousy when I spotted Russell talking to a girl that was obviously flirting with him. I told myself not to react. It's harmless flirting. She knows we're together. Besides, there is no way she could've missed the ring on my finger.