Best Friends Forever

Oh, who's that? He's cute. Shut up. He is! Listen to her, why don't we go talk to him? We're in the middle of history class. We would cause a scene. I don't see the problem with causing a scene. You're just too scared to talk to him. I am not scared! Then why don't we talk to him after class? Because he's the most popular kid at school! He would step on me like the little bug I am to him. You're just too scared. Scaredy cat! Scaredy cat! "Shut up!" I roared, covering my ears. Everyone turned to stare at me.

"Annie, honey, do you need to go to the nurse again?" Mrs. Finnie's voice reached me through the cloud of embarrassment that had settled over me. I shook my head quickly and she smiled at me. She resumed her lesson after that but I could still feel everyone looking at me. Well, now look what you've done. Yeah, now he'll never talk to us. What a shame.

Why do we even have to do homework? It's painfully boring. Well, then maybe the two of you should just leave. And miss out on all the fun times we have together? I didn't realize we had fun times together. Of course we do! We're best friends! Since when? Well, since we arrived I think. When did you two even arrive? You were eight, you called us Becky and Carol. Ah, right. I forget sometimes. You're forgetful. But that's okay; you've got us here to remind you of everything! I'm so lucky to have you. Was that sarcasm?

"Mom, can you pass the ketchup, please?" She smiled and passed it to me. She tries so hard to help me with the two of you. I should tell her about how bad you two have gotten, you know? No! You can't! We won't let you. We can stop you. Calm down! I never said I would tell mom. Just that any normal person would realize hearing voices every second of the day is not something sane people do. We aren't just voices. Yeah, we're your friends! Your only friends. You aren't my only friends. I have mom, and dad, and I have Lucy. Do you really think you're sister will continue to talk to you after she realizes how bad your "problem" has gotten. Do you really think anyone will care about you after they find out? Because if so you're wrong. We're all you have, and all you need. Be quiet the both of you. I have all I need in the real people. People who aren't only in my head.

They're looking at me. Us. What? They're looking at us. Whatever. Either way they're staring and I don't like it. They wouldn't stare if they didn't have eyes. Yes, thank you, Becky, for your input. Maybe we can put flowers where their eyes go! They'd be so much prettier that way! You think flowers make everything pretty. They just make my eyes itch. It's not my fault you have allergies. Maybe if you go away they'll stop.

"Annie! Sweetheart, come downstairs and sit with your father and I," Mom's voiced floated through the crack in my door. Sighing, I shoved myself up from my desk and down the stairs. The scent of whatever she was cooking wrapped around me in a warm embrace.

"Dinner smells delicious, Mom," I smiled gently at her. She gave me what looked like it was supposed to be a smile, and patted the seat next to her. Dad's face looked older than it used to, back before I was a diagnosed crazy. He had wrinkles surrounding his eyes and around his mouth. Laugh lines that hadn't been in use very much since we came home from that doctor's trip. It's your fault they're so sad you know. Maybe we should kill them, you can't be sad if you're dead. You two are getting morbid recently.

"Honey, we're worried about you. I know you don't think your... friends are a problem, and that they'll go away on their own accord but it's been five years since your diagnosis. It's been seven years since you first mentioned them! I think you should start taking the antipsychotics," she held up a hand when I made to speak, "I know we agreed that you didn't need them, but I think they're getting worse. I just got a call from Mrs. Finnie the other day that you had cried out during class again! I need you to get better, you need you to get better. I really think it's for the best, sweetie."

I blinked stupidly at her, and then my dad. He had a grim look on his face. They're trying to get rid of us. We should try to get rid of them, how would they feel then? They're poopbrains who don't deserve to have you in their life if they think you're crazy. I am though; I am crazy. You two have made me crazy. "I'll think about it okay, Mom. I can't make any promises, but I'll think about it," she nodded and the weight on her face alleviated some. Dinner was a silent affair. Well, except for in my head.