Chapter Twenty-One (Part 2)

"Hey, something has just occurred to me," he utters, rather excitedly. He glances around the group to check no one's listening. "The scenario with Carmen last week, with her obtaining the ability to see and communicate with Annabel. Perhaps Annabel had slipped into her open state. I've not quite read as far as--"

"Her what now?"

Jamie grunts, then glances around the group again. We're currently on our way to a haunted wall. Yes, a haunted wall. As in bricks. Haunted bricks. Ever the eavesdropping type, Annabel has joined Jamie and me. I was a little surprised she wasn't here for the tour initially, but I think even she's bored of these crazed ghost hunters by now.

"You know," Jamie continues in a hushed tone. "Considering you're the one with the abilities, you've not exactly read up on the topic, have you?" I'd argue back, but it's a fair point. I'm horrifically disorganised. Jamie rolls his eyes. "When regular people communicate with the deceased, it's believed to be due to that particular spirit entering an alternative state of being to the one they generally reside in."

"Oh wait, yeah, I remember reading something about that, so anyone and everyone can see them, right?"

Jamie nods. "I've not found anything stating how a spirit achieves this state quite yet; I'm not entirely sure it's known, but it seems logical as Carmen is no longer able to communicate with her."

I nod back in agreement. "C'mon, give us your theory," I say, turning to Annabel as we finally arrive at the infamous haunted wall.

She doesn't say anything in response, but her eyes are glazed over, so I know she's contemplating the whole idea. She mentioned a similar idea to me a few days ago, probably because she also reads up on this shit, suggesting the whole scenario could be to do with her accidentally making herself visible to Carmen. Considering no one else had the chance to see her that night, as she slipped away as help arrived, we don't know if everyone could see her, or just Carmen.

"It makes sense," she finally says. "I just want to know how the hell I did it."

"Oi!" a voice calls, forcing the three of us to shoot our heads up towards the group of people crowding the wall. "What are you two doing lagging behind, keep up!" Carmen calls, a wicked grin on her face. "You're missing out on some major wall action here, guys!"

Jamie and I catch up to everyone, and slip back into the group. The wall ghosts have a relatively interesting story--something to do with execution, I wasn't fully listening--but I'm still bored half to death. This is the last attraction, so I'm willing for the whole thing to end. We're in the city's main square, and I'm able to find a bench to sit on, so I can at least pretend to listen in comfort. Well, it's slightly damp, freezing cold and made from hard metal, so hardly luxurious, but at least it's something.

As the tour comes to an end, a confusing mixture of relief and disappointment spreads through my body. The last trip with this society was so eventful, what with the Tracker, the little spirit boy, and the wise female ghost. This one being the complete opposite is kind of gutting, I guess, especially when I'm so desperate for answers.

I'm so wrapped up in my thoughts that it takes me a while to realise there's someone sitting next to me on the cold bench. The crowd has dispersed slightly now, with individuals having separated into smaller groups to discuss the snooze-fest that was the spirit walk. I lift my gaze to see Ava sitting beside me, but as I look around the rest of the square, I can't spot anyone else from the flat.

Annabel's sitting on the concrete ground in front of me with a somewhat dejected look on her face, but that's it. She's probably just as disappointed by this as I am. I turn back to Ava. She still looks on edge. If anything, she looks even more uneasy.