Chapter Five: What Friends Are For

"I'll have the big breakfast platter with the pancakes. I want bacon instead of sausage. I also want a sausage biscuit. And I want a large orange juice." Whitley said her order to the cashier at McDonalds.

"Anything else?" The cashier smiled.

Whitley shook her head. "No. I think that's it."

The cashier finished ringing up her purchase and said, "10.76 is your total."

Whitley dug in her purse and pulled out her wallet. She placed the money on the counter and went over to the laughing Cooper.

"Hungry much?" He smiled.

Whitley nodded. "I feel like I haven't eaten in days. Why do I feel like this?"

"I honestly don't know. I'm glad you are eating though. You usually pick at your food."

Whitley smiled as their names were called. They walked together and picked up their food.

"Where to?" He asked.

"Can we sit outside? It is a beautiful day."

Cooper shrugged. "Sounds good to me."

She smiled and followed him out the door. Again she wondered how she landed a best friend like him.
...........................................................
"You were hungry. You ate all of that." Cooper said in shock. "Where did you put it all?"

"Haha," she nudged him in the ribs. "So, what are we doing next? I can't really face my parents right now."

Cooper shrugged. "Up to you. I have no plans. Tell me what you want to do."

Whitley thought for a moment. "Can you take me to Walmart? I want to go swimming, and I need a bathing suit."

"I don't have to watch you try them on do I?"

"Well," she laughed. "No. You don't have to. You are my friend who is incredibly generous and loves me enough to help me out."

"I guess that can work when you say it that way," he smiled." He grabbed her hand and squeezed. "I'm serious, Whitley. Whatever happens, I will be here."

"Even when my parents kill me?"

He nodded. Even then. "I'll plan your funeral."

Whitley laughed. "Thanks, Coop. I'm glad you love me enough."

"Hey," he held his hands up. "What are best friends for?"

She giggled as they went to his car.

"Off to Walmart. I should buy me a pair of trunks while we are out. I can't watch you swim and just sit back."

"I'm glad. I was hoping you would."

He reached over and held on to her hand. "Anything for you, Whitley. Anything. I like to see you happy."

Whitley was pretty sure she was blushing. She really loved Cooper, and she didn't know what to do about it. He was to great of a guy, and she didn't want to hurt him. For now, she would just be his best friend. That's all she needed right now. A friend.