Chapter Six - Cashier Girl

I try to change topics to safer ground. “So where do you live.”

“Corner of Summit and 12th”

I nod my head “We’ll go to the food store first then.”

“What? No.” she says a little bit flustered.

“I’m driving so unless you want to walk your skinny arse the rest of the way I suggest you stop complaining.” I notice her playing with the hem of her short denim skirt. I can’t stop myself from looking at her long tanned legs.

“Fine” she grumbled clearly aggravated by my suggestion.

She seems to sink into her own little world; I try to get the conversation going again without pissing her off even more. I blow smoke at her trying to get her attention, she just ignores me and rolls down her window. “You smoke?” I ask offering her a cigarette.

“No.” great were back to the one word answers, this is going to be a long drive I thought to myself.

“Don’t drink, don’t smoke… do you do weed?” genuinely curious.

She shook her head and laughed at my question “Nope.”  She said chuckling and popping her ‘p’.

“Wow.” Shaking my head in disbelief, what does this girl actually do then? “So you’ve never tried it then?”

“Never wanted to. I have enough fun without drinking and drugs.” I laughed loudly at that she sounded so prim and proper.

“Well aren’t you little Miss Priss?” she didn’t find it amusing she shrugged and sighed.

“Yeah that’s me.”

We pull into the parking lot, I park in a disabled bay pulling out the handicapped sticker I keep in the glove box. I chuckle as I see the disgusted look Kara has on her face. “Don’t look at me like that.”

“Handicap?” she asked me eyeing me up and down as we stepped out of the car. I couldn’t help but have a small smirk plastered on my face. She just can’t help herself.

I thought I better explain, “Some friend broke his leg over the summer so I kept it.” I shrug taking a long drag on my cigarette.

Kara walks into step with me, “What exactly are you getting.” She asks as she watches my lips as I continue to puff away on my cigarette.

“Need more drinks.” I say with a shrug as if it was the most obvious of answers.

“Of course.” She waits patiently as I load up the trolley with a wide array of different bottles of alcohol. “Do you really need all of this.”

“Yup.” I smiled at her as I continue to add a six pack and raspberry wine coolers. “I’ll keep these on hand in case you find being dry is no fun.” I wink at her to which she scoffs.

We started to put the drink on the counter when I realised I forgot the pop tarts “I forgot something just a sec.” I rush round the aisles till I find the allusive pop tarts. I rush back to see a very tense Kara standing perfectly straight and her fists clenched together.

I over hear the cashier girl say “I mean James mentioned your little… problem. I’m so sorry for you Kara. You must feel like killing yourself huh? Nobody seems to want to stay around you. You should hold on to Maver, he’ll be gone any day now. If he has any sense he already is.” Bitch I think to myself as I storm towards the till blood boiling at this vile blonde insulting my Kara. “Funny to hear that coming from a girl behind a counter.” I laugh at the shocked expression on her face, “Now be a good little cashier and finish ringing this up.”   

This girl obviously wasn’t used to being rejected and continued to make eyes at me “That will be $487.67. May I see some ID please.” She asked in her overly friendly false tone. I shrug and hand over the ID her eyes darting from me to Kara obviously trying to work out the relationship between us. I hand over $500 and watch as her eyes look longingly at the wad of cash in my hands. “You know what.” Her eyes looked up at me trying to flirt, just the thought of her made me feel repulsed.

“Yeah” she asked hopefully, I smirk at her she is just being pathetic and desperate now. This should be amusing.

“Keep the change. It looks like you could use it.” I smirk and Kara’s jaw dropped as did the bitchy cashier girl. I sling my arm over Kara’s shoulder “Oh and nice uniform.” I call over my shoulder in a mocking tone.

“I hate fucking bitches.” I laugh as the doors closed behind us. Kara ducked out from underneath my arm. I laugh at how quickly she moved away from me.