The Talk

I jerked from my bed when I heard the unauthorised opening of the door , and I saw my mom in her Ankara skirt and blouse walking into the room. Mum I whined you didn't knock I could have been dressing up. "Sorry dear I forgot your dad and I promised to knock always. I noticed the blue pack she was carrying which was a sanitary towel and wondered how long the talk would be considering it was a Saturday afternoon and Sade and I had to watch the new high school movie showing at the cinema. I planned to hurry mum up by nodding to everything she said. I sat back on my bed and she sat next to me at the same time taking a quick glance at my room."I'm glad you keep your room tidy. "Tidiness should be the motto of every girl".
If I do not stop her now she will dive into the when-i-was-your-age speech."Mum you said you wanted to have "the talk" with me I'm all ears I said with a sweet smile. She stared at me as if to weigh my interest in what she had to say. Nnenna, Mum stared into my eyes. I think it's time we have a serious talk. I was staring at the blue pack on her laps, wondering what role it will play in her speech. You see most girls of your age gave started seeing what is called a menstrual cycle. Most see it later than others and I suppose you are one of those. Personally I don't consider thirteen late. She watched to see if I was processing her words, I nodded urging her to continue her speech even though I knew almost everything about puberty. Do you know what a sanitary towel is and what it looks like?Mum said as she dangled the blue packet in front of me. Well I know it's used when menses start and I've seen it on Adaora's dressing table and Sade's room. I answered feeling like I had just passed my first test.
"Sade has started menstruating? I thought she's the same age as you
"Mum I thought you said some girls see theirs  earlier than others" I said calmly feeling like the older person in the room.
"Anyway do you know how it is used? Mum said as she opened the blue pack.
"No mum I don't ".  I was excited the  see how its used.
Just when I was about to know the secret known to only puberty club members mum stood up walking towards the door. She was leaving the talk had ended even before it begun. I'm  sure she was cut off by my negative repl.  "why didnt I just pretend like I knew  more than I had let on. mum walked towards the door and locked it with the key.  Maynbe it involved some initiation from mother to child.
"Now we're going to be practical here unsap your jeans and take off your underwear.
I did as I was told.
Mum then proceeded to show me how to wear a sanitary towel and she told me to walk around the room.
"How do you feel? Mum said
"Uncomfortable ". Well get used to it cus it will soon become part of your life for a very long time to come. "Now I want you to wear it for toda.  Now sit down I want to talk to you about the do's and dont's of a teenage girl.

Do's and Don'ts 0f a teenage girl? Was there any such thing? I wondered who wrote it. I thought about exchanching nots  with Sade. Sade! I totally forgot about the movie. I checked my wristwatch I had only twenty-five minutes left.
"I see you are looking at your any plans for today"?  o
"Mum you said I could go to the cinema with Sade we agreed on meeting outside the estate gate and I'm already late.
"I won't take much of your time as for your hygiene always take your bath daily or more so when it is your time of the month and do not associate with boys
"But Mum".
"No buts look at your sister she is a good example of a child who does as she is told no questions asked".  "Stay away from boys they are evil".  Do you understand? She screamed into my ears .
Yes mum.
Good now go ahead. She smiled and left my room.
I gingerly got up from my bed walked to my closet and brought out something nicer to wear.

A\N:phew so glad I'm through with this chapter😅😅😂😂
So sorry I took so long to update I was busy with school work😭😭😭😒😒 hope you enjoy. Pls vote, comment and follow.  Hugs and kisses filled with colors💋💋😘😘. Thnx.
-jojo