Gravestones and Teardrops

Lance sat in front of a gravestone. Beautiful pictures of . . . her were surrounding it. His red face was warm but as a depressing wind blew he became freezing.

"Why?" He thought. "Why had it been her. She had helped bring us together. She had cared for us. She had taken care of everything, all while saving the galaxy. And she died from something as stupid as a dumb driver."

Lance sat there, feeling the heat from crying then the freezing wind. The sky had solum grey clouds. They were thick enough to cover the world in shadows, but not heavy enough for rain ether.

Lance knew it was getting late, even if he couldn't see the sun. The other paladins had left long ago. They had been dressed in their paladin suits to honor her.

It felt strange he was supposed to be dressed in black, not blue. Black was for sadness, despair, mourning. Blue was considered sad, but it didn't feel right.

The others didn't seem to be affected so bad. They had sat quietly mourning during the funeral but they had been able to leave and go to the parade held in her honor.

That day, nearly a month ago, Lance couldn't do anything but wonder around or sit in his room.

He missed her. They all did. For so long, she had been a ray of sunlight in their lives and to know she was gone. . . it nearly destroyed Lance.

~*~

Lance barley recognized the soft voice that said his name.

"Lance," Pidge said again, "it's time to go."

"Okay." He said quietly. He stood up used to the routine of one of his friends coming to get him. They got into the car and sat silently.

"You know, we all miss Allura." Pidge sighed and hung her head. "But you know she wouldn't like this."

"I know." Lance whispered. "But can't I be sad she's gone."

"Yes, but you need to do other things too."

They sat in silence for several minutes before Pidge started the car a drove away.

As they pulled to a stop Lance looked up. "What are we doing here?" He asked. They sat in the drive way to Pidge's apartment.

"We are hanging out." She said plainly.

"Pidge, not right now. Okay?"

"I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Fine." Lance shrugged out of the car and slowly made his way inside.

"So what do you want to do?" Pidge asked sitting next to him.

"I don't know, nothing really"

"Movie?"

"No."

"Talk?"

"Sure."

"About . . ?"

"You choose."

"Space caterpillars!"

"What?"

"You know," Pidge said sitting up. "My space caterpillars."

"Okay, so what about them?" Lance turned to look at her.

"Do you remember that one time they started wondering out my room?" Pidge started to smile.

"Oh ya! How could I forget!" Lance had a large grin now. "They went into the kitchen and started to eat the food goo. Hunk freaked when he found out. There was such a mess."

They continued talking until eventually it was dark and Pidge fell asleep.

Lance smiled sleepily. He stood up and went over her. He smiling he lifted her off the couch. She was really cute when she slept. And even though she had gotten taller sense their return to earth, she was tiny and easy to carry.

He gently laid her in her bed, took her glasses off, then kissed her forehead.

"I love you, Pidgey. If only I could tell you that when you're conscious enough to hear me."

"I hear you." She mumbled. Lance jumped

"I thought you were asleep!"

"I was until you started talking." She said eyes still closed. Maybe she's still half asleep. Lance thought.

"Okay then. Go back to sleep, you need it." He started walking towards the door.

"Good night. Love you too Lance." Her words slurred together, but she was smiling as she fell back to sleep.